AuthorTopic: My most important piece.  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

My most important piece.

on: November 11, 2016, 03:33:20 am
Ok, so currently i'm feeling really comfortable here,and using all kind of tips that i've been receiving from you, nice people so i was afraid of showing this here , just because i really love this character, it has been my starting point since i started with this pointy thing, so please, give me your best shot and tell me what can i do to my main character for making him ,you know, my main character.

All kind of feedback is well received, be cruel, c'mon, just do it.

Mercer started as my main character, resembling things from characters like Jake muller (Re6, it's resemblance shines i suppose) He is an ex drug addict,struggling to not be miserable as he is and too coward to face it.
He is a miserable person, with nothing to offer, but a lot to win.

I started with something like this:

to get to something like this:

So, what do you think?
Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: My most important piece.

Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 04:16:59 am
There's a lot of unnecessary colors.  At this rez, you can probably get away with two, three shades per color max.  The way you have it now, there's a lot of noise on the arms and shirt when there doesn't need to be.  He can also be a bit less sharp if that's the word.  There's too many right angles (waist/our right arm especially) that make him look stiff. 

Really like how foreboding he looks, though.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 04:45:16 am
The design is a BIT too angular, reminds me of the cutscenes from Mirror's Edge which I always found to be stiff and unappealing when the game was ALREADY well stylized. Try to fix that shoulder, and re-fix his head so his neck isn't out at such a strange angle! it looks like he's doing that arin hanson thing and digging his chin into his neck to create more chins, try doing what he's doing yourself to gauge if it's a comfortable or natural position!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 07:03:38 am
What you do is very promising. The style is going to fit to your monster design very well. Oh, and you worked on the shading too. It gives the sprite a very ambient feeling. Like he is standing in front of a fire place or something. Cool.

Now let's talk about what you can improve.  :crazy:
He doesn't look like a drug addict to me. Maybe you can lower his muscles. Or does he do sports? Than fix that hollow back. It looks unhealthy.

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 02:08:47 pm
Grrreat, all your feedback helps me a Loooot.
I want to start pointing that this guy was my first drawing like,ever ,on this pixel thing,so i know that has a lot of imperfections and i really appreciate you comments and tips.

Ok, so my homework with this guy would be:

-Rosier: Fix colour palette
-Meat: Design and posture
-Runen: Phisique.

Note: I'm aware that drug addicts look miserable, but at the same time, i want to incorporate parkour elements on my project, and fighting as well, so based on that i think that i will end up needing a more fit/muscular approach, or so i was thinking.

Also, there was this idea when you can start playing with a very thin character, and through progress your character becomes more and more athletic, what do you think?
Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline Mnots

• @_Mnots
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp#iv
    • View Profile
    • Livingston Games

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 02:15:21 pm
Gotten some excellent advice so far, so I don't have too much to offer. You've got a bunch of semi-transparent pixels hanging out around the sprite, may want to clean those up a bit.

Also, drug addicts aren't necessarily unhealthy or unfit. Take the movie Trainspotting as an example, the character Sick Boy is healthy enough (despite his name lol) to take on the role of a professional conman, and Begbie is your typical bar brawling madman.

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 04:33:04 pm
I started giving him a very basic look, because i have the idea of gather clothes through out the game, so his appareance would change,his clothes,even his hair...At the moment i have so many ideas i want to put together, but it's hard. Thanks everyone ,can't wait to read more of your opinions and thoughts!
Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 11:05:43 pm

Also, drug addicts aren't necessarily unhealthy or unfit. Take the movie Trainspotting as an example, the character Sick Boy is healthy enough (despite his name lol) to take on the role of a professional conman, and Begbie is your typical bar brawling madman.
I'm not happy with the idea to quote a film for a reality check.  :)
But I admit that I'm not well informed about drugs and their consequences. Maybe this is something the game designer has to research.

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 03:39:13 am
[UPDATE]

Made some tweeks, it's still not finished, but i guess that i made some progress(?) What do you think?

[Before]

[After]

I think that he looks way more athletic now, thinking about erase my previous sketch of him being a drug addict and just focusing him on being an ex-burglar.
 :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:41:44 am by Fieldren »
Praise the sun \[T]/