AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] NES Palette Background  (Read 7201 times)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [WIP][C+C] NES Palette Background

Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 11:41:52 pm
Looking good, man! I think if you add too much more you might run the risk of overcrowding the scene, but I do recommend keeping those foreground buildings on a separate layer for parallax scrolling!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 09:38:17 am
I feel very uncomfortable with the clouds.
It just makes no sense. I lived in the city my whole live and I can't recognize to see clouds like this at night.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:54:08 am by Runensucher »

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 10:46:41 pm
Thanks a lot of the feedback guys!

@Runensucher Good point. I don't think I ever realized the kind of clouds the float above cities.  Thing is I'm not really sure what would be appropriate and achievable  with a limited NES palette. I've collected some reference and I'm working on another cloud layer. Something more like these clouds.

http://vceinsights.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/clouds-over-city.png
images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/storm-clouds-over-new-york-city-i-clarence-holmes.jpg

The problem with making new clouds though is that it's going to take so much time and careful pixeling  :lol: I think I'm going to have trouble shading/pixeling and keeping the cloud and sky layer clearly different with just 3 colors. Things will parallax in game so maybe that will help. Also, I really don't know how to create these large "realistic clouds" in some sort of NES limited tiling fashion...where I can repeat the tiles over and over to create the image. I'm doing a lot of pixeling right now. Things will parallax in game so maybe that will help.

Just a early work in progress with the new changes. Would appreciate all feedback.

Offline skittlefuck

• skittlefuck
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 05:11:36 am
would recommend throwing in a lot more smaller buildings, seems very sparse right now. If NES restrictions allow it, I think adding one more dark blue to the mix and using it to make the building fade into a darker colour as they go down would do a lot of good.

As for the clouds, I think keeping them as small and spread out as possible would be the best, it's looking too busy imo.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:24:43 am by skittlefuck »

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 09:49:38 am
Thanks skittle. I've added a few more smaller buildings. Simple placeholders for now. Not sure if I like the way they work currently. I added some reflection to the building windows too.  Still nowhere near finished with the clouds. Might just make them small like you said skittlefuck but I'm willing to experiment a little. Any more feedback welcomed. Thanks!

I really want to finish this soon so I can get back to making environment tiles!

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 10:34:31 am
This looks like a living city. The clouds now look more realistic, but there is still this noisy outline you better fix.
The last step is to fix the bottom of the buildings. Look at this: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tmnt/tmnt_files/tmnttff-snes-clonefight-nes.png
I hope it helps.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 12:55:11 pm
Some more updates. This is tough work! And it's taking longer than I'd like it to. I do think I'm getting closer to finishing even though I keep adding to it! Removed the clouds for now. I really appreciate everyone's help!