AuthorTopic: Help with fold shading and opinions.  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Help with fold shading and opinions.

on: November 09, 2016, 03:17:03 am
Need help with fold shading please,any advice is completely appreciated(English is not my native language).

Initially, I tried to do a big guy that as supposed to resemble anger/hate, but i ended up making this Horn dude.Need help with his skirt shade, and i'm completely aware that my work on shadows overall is absolutely noob-ish. Need advice. :'(

Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Re: Help with fold shading and opinions.

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 03:19:44 am
Oh yeah, that thing in his hand, it was supposed to be a nail, but i don't know what to put on there as a weapon, so the nail will be there until i find something better
Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 07:48:29 am
Honestly I'd keep it a nail, but make it more of a nail than a dagger. As it is it kind of curves off to the side, giving it more of a wicked daggery look. But thematically, nails pop up a LOT in holy scriptures and the iconography of them aside is pretty metal.

To make it more nail-like, I think you'd just have to straghten it out then give it a tapering point at the very end.

As for what you ASKED: For folds, I find it handy to think of where the fabric would "catch" on the leg. For example, here it'd catch on the right knee and foot and the left knee and shin. From those points, you'd create a curve, and use that to extrapolate the fold of the fabric. And remember, the less folds the heavier the material, so if you're going for burlap or heavy robes try to limit how many you put in and if you're going for more of a cloth or silk feel, add more!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 01:05:59 pm
So , let's keep the nail? I'm gonna work this guy out, see if it comes something good of it.

That tip with the folds is damn good, i haven't tought about it because honestly i've never put folds on my drawings but this time i was thinking about Pyramid head and something about Ku klux klan (Caution:Don't listen pink floyd late at night).

Going to work with your advice, Meat. Thanks one more time, Mister CarnesMisteriosas!
Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 11:10:55 am

Aikido practicioners wear a kind of skirt pants that are called hakama, maybe you could google that and get some good reference?

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 01:38:04 pm
Sweet, i'm going for it, i haven't realied that martial art poses are a very good way to think about stances too...
From another point of view, i was thinking about trying to make a skirt that's made of something called "Yute" or "Jute", for clarification, it's a kind of fabric very common used on scarecrows, for example.

-Can't put an image, don't know why, but i'm gonna leave a link

https://www.google.cl/search?q=Saco+de+yute+ingl%C3%A9s&biw=1517&bih=708&tbm=isch&imgil=2eDmVIsLML6FAM%253A%253BqhRhe1-MyxFe8M%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fes.aliexpress.com%25252Fitem%25252FBurlap-Jute-Sacks-Vintage-Weddings-Birthday-Parties-Favor-With-Drawstrings-Gift-Bags-Recycled-Packaging-Bag-Candy%25252F32710056753.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=2eDmVIsLML6FAM%253A%252CqhRhe1-MyxFe8M%252C_&usg=__1cSzk-cZUbigUflC-snn51m7jvk%3D&dpr=0.9&ved=0ahUKEwiMhZunp57QAhWIiJAKHV8BBj4QyjcIQQ&ei=y3ckWMzzBYiRwgTfgpjwAw#imgrc=2eDmVIsLML6FAM%3A
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 02:15:53 pm by Fieldren »
Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 03:56:40 am
[UPDATE]

Took the advice of both Kullenberg and Meat and did something like this:

I based myself on what you just said Kullen, and i used your reference, i think that's kinda decent, i don't know, what do you think about it?
Praise the sun \[T]/

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 04:43:14 am
Looks excellent!  Smooth out the shading on his upper parts just a bit and you have yourself a swanky sprite, friend! (there's a lot of noise on the abs and sickle especially, mind those stray pixels!)
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 07:29:55 am
The skirt doesn't look like burlap/jute at all. I think this is a great idea (has it to do with "jeepers creepers"? - a film I've never seen), so you have to work on it. The brown looks more like leather (what fits as well, as it is a organic material). Jute is more like a low saturated orange. And it needs some structure.
I would go nuts too, if I had to wear a skirt of jute. I bet he doesn't have underwear.

And how about adding some grain? To underline the theme. Don't know how this will look and if it fits your mindset.

Offline Fieldren

• -Grotesque-
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 04:04:06 pm

Note to self: Put him some goddamn underwear.

I wanted to make something more jute-looking but ended up failing miserably  :-[
so i just went for the good ol' classic Leather.

I wanted to ask you something, as English is not my native language and i'm still getting used to some concepts...
What do you mean about grain? you mean like , rice?

I totally love jeepers creepers, but this guy was initially my thought process based on the movie "13 ghosts" , with the woman with the caged head,but things went too far, and it was late, and you know, i ended up with a demon.
Praise the sun \[T]/