AuthorTopic: Biology is very strange yet mechanical  (Read 9761 times)

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Re: Biology is very strange yet mechanical

Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 12:53:13 am
Well, I think the next step would already be atomic level (we once had the atomic structure of a dna string in biology class, it's rather simple, but that's long gone), then you'd have your Electron/Neutron/Proton deal and anything below sub-sub-atomic is such wild ad-hoc speculation that it is really kind of hard to take that too serious.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 07:29:00 am
I be damned :p  :huh:

actually...
, "The Inner Life of the Cell" takes undergrads beyond textbooks and vividly illustrates the mechanisms that allow a white blood cell to sense its surroundings and respond to an external stimulus. This animation explores the different cellular environments in which these communications take place.
=D I can settle for that until I see something more of this...as the page implies will happen.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 08:14:38 am by Conceit »

Offline Noiprox

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 01:21:11 am
Millions of chemical reactions are continuously happening inside every human body at all times, of which scientists only know relatively few, and even fewer are understood.

Also, quantum mechanics is neither ad hoc nor wild speculation. At least not much more so than other Science is. It is just that it happens far enough outside our intuition that it seems strange to us. That and our best models of them are statistical because reality at such a low level is nondeterministic. The experimental method is breaking down there because it is becoming increasingly difficult to conduct reliable experiments.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 03:09:55 am
...our best models of them are statistical because reality at such a low level is nondeterministic. The experimental method is breaking down there because it is becoming increasingly difficult to conduct reliable experiments.

and that is simply beautiful, it's almost poetic to me that reality at it's purest is above scientific methods.

sometimes it makes me think that maybe we are all just made up....and the bizarre functioning of quantum mechanics is like a plothole, or a glitch

sheesh....I'm an ignoramus :p
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 03:11:53 am by Conceit »