AuthorTopic: [CC] Feedback on design and color of my character  (Read 2233 times)

Offline mzn528

• View Profile

[CC] Feedback on design and color of my character

on: November 03, 2016, 01:26:47 am
Hello all! I just finished redesigning of my character...but I suck at character design and color.. so I am wondering if you can help giving me some advice!

Thank you so much!
Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist - Twitter @mzn528

Current Game: Soul Appeaser, an ARPG inspired by Dark Souls and Berserk (the manga yes)
DevLog here

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [CC] Feedback on design and color of my character

Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 05:35:16 am
Had some time an made an edit:

The first thing I did was to fix the anatomy and tried to create a more natural, believable stance.

It's hard to explain colors, but try to keep them meaningful.  You had 38 colors I think, and I got my edit down to 15.  I would suggest working with other palettes til you get the feel for how they work.  Another words, force yourself to use, say... 16 colors only and adjust those.  Your palette has good contrast overall, but some very similar colors which don't add anything.  I learned more about color from doing fixed palette collaborations and doing edits. 

Try to create definition by paying close attention to lighting.  And think in terms of pixel clusters and limit the use of single pixels. 

And don't be afraid pf pulling things apart and shifting things around and redrawing parts.  This goes back to my first sentence about fixing the anatomy.  I separated, stretched, redrew, twisted, etc. before I did any details, then I pulled it apart again, and again.

I hope my advice was helpful, I'm no expert.

Also, you had a weird 66% or something scaling on your image.  Generally it's preferred to post original size.

Offline mzn528

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 05:16:19 pm
Had some time an made an edit:

The first thing I did was to fix the anatomy and tried to create a more natural, believable stance.

It's hard to explain colors, but try to keep them meaningful.  You had 38 colors I think, and I got my edit down to 15.  I would suggest working with other palettes til you get the feel for how they work.  Another words, force yourself to use, say... 16 colors only and adjust those.  Your palette has good contrast overall, but some very similar colors which don't add anything.  I learned more about color from doing fixed palette collaborations and doing edits. 

Try to create definition by paying close attention to lighting.  And think in terms of pixel clusters and limit the use of single pixels. 

And don't be afraid pf pulling things apart and shifting things around and redrawing parts.  This goes back to my first sentence about fixing the anatomy.  I separated, stretched, redrew, twisted, etc. before I did any details, then I pulled it apart again, and again.

I hope my advice was helpful, I'm no expert.

Also, you had a weird 66% or something scaling on your image.  Generally it's preferred to post original size.

Hello dpixel! Sorry for the delay... I had no access to computer til now due to travelling.

Thank you so much for the tip! the color and pose you were using are so much more natural. I am trying to do a no outline approach so let me use your tip and fix my character haha.
Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist - Twitter @mzn528

Current Game: Soul Appeaser, an ARPG inspired by Dark Souls and Berserk (the manga yes)
DevLog here

Offline Runensucher

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 10:52:23 pm

Hello dpixel! Sorry for the delay... I had no access to computer til now due to travelling.

Thank you so much for the tip! the color and pose you were using are so much more natural. I am trying to do a no outline approach so let me use your tip and fix my character haha.

Use outlines. They help a lot. I know there is cool stuff without them. But as a beginner myself, I can give you this advice. Outlines make pixel art a lot easier and there is a limited number of styles that support that kind of spriting. There is no need to push yourself to something that is hard to achieve at your current level. Learn to make good sprites with outline and come back to this idea later, when you feel more comfortable with the basics.
Sorry for the offtopic.

EDIT: I've search your recent posts. You've come to far to change the style now. :)
So just ignore my babbling.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:00:15 pm by Runensucher »