AuthorTopic: First time making a big animation  (Read 8947 times)

Offline Nirwanda

• View Profile

First time making a big animation

on: November 01, 2016, 07:03:18 am
Hello I'm Nirwanda, a new member of the site.
For the longest time i've wanted to make my "dream game" and after taking a few stabs at game making  (and one at making very simple pixel art https://nirwanda.itch.io/pathway-desire), I feel like it's time to attempt to make it. There's only one small problem, I know very little about pixel art, so I'm struggling with even the most basic of my (admitedly ambitious) goals: making the main character sprite. So I wanted some feedback on her appearance and animation. I wish I could be more specific with my request, but I've polished it up as much as my eyes can see errors, so what is left is what my lack of experience doesn't let me see.

Thanks a lot for reading! And please don't laugh too hard at my girl. ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:28:33 am by Nirwanda »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: First time making a big animation

Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 07:46:49 am
First thing I'm noticing already is that the arms are a bit short, as a rule the hand should reach about the middle of the thigh and elbows should hit where the hips start.
The hair string kinda wiggles way too much, try to rough out the movements of the animation first then add in the details. That way you can catch minor things like that before the animation is too far along.
I'd also try to reduce the detail some, instead of drawing the fold lines on the shirt imply them through color blocks and simple shading.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Nirwanda

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 08:12:45 am
Thanks a lot for the feedback, mistery meat!
I'm not sure what you mean by color blocks. Something like this maybe?

Also, now I've got a couple of questions: in another place they told me that the boob animation is unrealistic and her feet move weirdly. Any advice about that?

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 11:50:46 am
You nailed the concept, yeah! Try to find the clusters thread, it's a great concept to kep in mind. As for the boobs, yeah don't force the jiggle. Try to keep in mind how the character moves, if they're bouncing like a boxer more bits move wildly but if they're just doing a little toe bounce that won't be the case.

Again, try to rough out the positions of the limbs before you animate the whole!

Also, still gotta fix those arms! They're way shorter than they should be, use your own to feel out where they should be!

Offline Nirwanda

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 02:32:24 pm
Well, I made the bounce simpler and it's only one pixel in height, I dunno if it looks "realistic" though.
By roughing out you mean doing a sort of sketch? Also are you talking about future endeavors or do you think the limbs of this one need some fixing?
Sorry, I wanted to check the clothing thing before doing the arms, that's why I didn't change them in my second post.
Anyway, here's what I've fixed on it so far:

Offline Nirwanda

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 04:09:02 pm
Next step: Moving!
Now I'm making my first moving sprite. It's very rough. Aside from the two obvious things (anathomy is not consistent -her feet size changes amongst frames- and that it need more frames) any advice? Thanks for checking this out. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by double posting but it seemed silly to create a new thread for what's basicaly the same sprite.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 04:59:50 pm
You need more distinction between the legs, you can accomplish this by slapping darker shading o the rear leg

Offline MicKo

• Ylzorr
    • View Profile
    • itch.io

Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 06:22:30 pm
Now I'm making my first moving sprite. It's very rough.
Let me show you rough. :D

I assumed she's running, it's pretty hard to tell in your animation right now. A few things I'd recommend (keep in mind I'm not a great animator at all :crazy:):
- Check animation tutorials on the internet. I think this one is pretty popular, maybe there are better ones around but it helped me a lot: http://www.angryanimator.com/word/2010/11/26/tutorial-2-walk-cycle/. You have some problems in your animation that can easily be fixed after you've read this, I think.
- Don't overdetail your sprite until you're satisfied enough with your animation, it's a huge time waste to put details in right now in my opinion, just focus on the movement.

Offline Nirwanda

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 06:41:25 pm
Thank you both for your feedback, I'll keep working on it, and check that link.

Offline Nirwanda

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 10:31:23 pm
Now, thanks to a ton of people she runs!

I tried to separate more her legs, does it show?  Anyway again thanks :)
Next episode we'll be taking it to the sky with a jump animation. (I am aware I still haven't animated her hair :P)