AuthorTopic: Tavern scene in need of a redesign.  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Bollie

• Learning the ropes of pixel art!
    • @ollieberzs
    • View Profile

Tavern scene in need of a redesign.

on: October 19, 2016, 03:28:08 pm
I drew this tavern for the character select screen for my game some time ago:

I don't really like how it looks, especially the wood and background bricks. Any tips or critique appretiated :)

Offline Ozego

• View Profile

Re: Tavern scene in need of a redesign.

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 10:43:55 am
Heya, it looks pretty sweet already. I think the biggest problem you have is the big brick wall stealing all the attention. With textures, the inner variation is a lot more important than the shading. try to break up the bicks less evenly. Take a look at this texture from team fortress 2:

Check out how they but all the emphasis in the texture in the variation between the bicks while most of the texture is just a monotone flat color. Take a look at how they make larger blops out of similar coloured bricks to make it interesting.

Try to break it up a bit. Walls are rarely this bare, if you go to a real bar you'll see they pack the walls full of pictures and quriosities. check out this picture I googled:
In the world of your game, what would the bartender like to show his visitors? probably he's been working there for years and met a lot of adventures who've left souvenirs.

tl;dr
- simplify bricks, get rid of shading
- add variation in brick color
- hint at objects that tell a story about the location
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:47:07 am by Ozego »

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 11:32:04 am
Hey! Really good suggestions by Ozego, especially adding variation to the brick color and giving the place more personality. Maybe hang a "Wanted" poster or mount a head of a dangerous monster on the wall as a trophy. I personally don't have a problem with the wood around the bar. The wood up top (around character avatars) might seem a bit dark but I like it. They almost look like steel beams though.

Offline Bollie

• Learning the ropes of pixel art!
    • @ollieberzs
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 06:17:17 am
UPDATE:
Changed everything. Seems much better now :)

Just need to add characters and animations now.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 09:22:25 am
A few miscellaneous ideas I had. I don't know if this is tile-based or not, but if it's not there were some perspective issues I tweaked so the bar had a more recessed appearance and drew the eye to the middle more. I also added a few misc. details, like the bartaps and glasses. Unfortunately I couldn't find a better color combo to make the bar area look darker without adding colors, so if you find a better one or feel like cheating a bit don't shy away from doing that!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |