AuthorTopic: [WIP] Bioshock reimagined as a gameboy game  (Read 5480 times)

Offline TnCrump3tz

• View Profile

[WIP] Bioshock reimagined as a gameboy game

on: October 31, 2016, 03:07:31 pm
I'm doing a mock screenshot of Bioshock as an old gameboy game. I haven't been doing pixel art for very long and have been trying new things to get better. I still want to add a few more things, but tell me what you think!

Offline hexcode

• I'm a Full-time Pixel Artist for hire!
    • @joseph_silipo
    • mrsilipo
    • View Profile
    • Joseph Silipo's Portfolio

Re: [WIP] Bioshock reimagined as a gameboy game

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 08:46:57 pm
Hi. It looks quite good and simple at this stage.
I picked up on 3 things:
The feet of the enemy doesn't sit well with the body.
The UI in the top left, the circles looks a little rough. The lightening bolt inside next to the 4 feel a bit hard to read.
Not sure what the object above the enemy in the fountain is?

Other than that, it looks pretty good :)
Twitter @joseph_silipo
AVAILABLE FOR HIRE
I'm dedicating my life to become an amazing pixel artist.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 12:00:07 pm
Nice project, I like it so far! I agree with what hexcode says. What's that thing in the fountain? A lantern? Bid Daddy's feet or lower torso look weird. I can see the characters are standing on a tiled floor. What's the area outside of the tiled floor? Grass?

I almost didn't notice the lighting bolts coming from the characters hand. Maybe you can make one long electric blast like the Emperors force lighting from Star Wars. Also, I think there's some pixel banding on the right part of the fountain but I'm not too sure if that's a big deal or not.

Oh and where's the little sister?  ;D

Offline TnCrump3tz

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:22:44 pm
Thanks guys! I'm working on the feet. I've changed some of the shading I had as it didn't quite match this style. The thing in the fountain is supposed to be one of the plasmid containers. Since it's not a full game, you have no reference. If it were the full game, I'm assuming you would have run into them in the beginning and it would explain it! ;) The other ground material is grass, and I can't believe I forgot the little sister! I kind of like the UI as it is. I tried changing it, but then it got too bulky. I'll see what I can do about the lightning!

Offline TnCrump3tz

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:53:49 am
Ok I've added the Little Sister, adjusted shading, and changed the Big Daddy's feet. What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:58:29 am by TnCrump3tz »

Offline hexcode

• I'm a Full-time Pixel Artist for hire!
    • @joseph_silipo
    • mrsilipo
    • View Profile
    • Joseph Silipo's Portfolio

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:27:03 pm
Nice, I find it reads better now. Maybe around the tiles, you could make the grass a little spiky.
Twitter @joseph_silipo
AVAILABLE FOR HIRE
I'm dedicating my life to become an amazing pixel artist.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 03:09:32 pm
5 colors is a bit much for a gameboy demake.

Offline TnCrump3tz

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 06:35:14 pm
Oh shoot! I totally didn't realize that. I forgot to count black... Thanks for pointing that out! I think I fixed the colors here:

Offline Alícia F. R.

• alforiumstudios
    • View Profile
    • Alfórium Studios

Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 09:28:29 am
Hi!

I don't post very often around here, but since the Game Boy has kind of become my specialty lately, I thought I could help a bit.

Now, first of all I'd recommend that you work with a program that lets you see the color palette you're using, because your picture has way more than 4 colors. I opened your pic in Aseprite and the palette viewer tells me you have the following colors in it:

You should probably index the image, so there's no chance that you use a different color by accident.

Also, your picture is the wrong size. The Game Boy screen was 160x144 px in size.

That said, if you want to achieve a true "Game Boy effect", you should probably take into account the following things:

- Game Boy sprites could only have 3 colors, since the fourth was used for transparency (there were ways to work around this, but they're more relevant to the Game Boy Color).

- The Game Boy screen was made out of 8x8 px tiles. All graphics were aligned to that grid. Generaly speaking, only sprites could get off the grid, so everything else (map tiles, windows, huds, etc.) should stick to it.

- There was a limited number of sprites that could be displayed on the screen at the same time.

Considering all of this, I recommend that you look at your picture with a 8x8 px grid layered on top of it. You'll realise that many things, such as the huds and the fountain tiles, are misaligned.

Also, the huds you've designed (transparent and layered on top of the map) would've been near impossible to make in a Game Boy. They would've had to be made with sprites, which would've taken up a lot of the game memory and would've left almost no space to process all the other sprites in the screen.

Instead, I'd recommend that you treat the huds as if they were tiles: that is, that you make them non-transparent and stick them to the top or the bottom of the screen. That's how games like Legend of Zelda or Kirby's Dream Land did it, because it was the most efficient and easily readable solution.

I could tell you more things, but I think this is the most important stuff you could change to make it look more realistic. I hope it helps.

Good luck and keep on pixeling!

Offline TnCrump3tz

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 12:04:12 pm
Ok! Wow, there was a lot more than what I realized! This was my first GB mockup. Thanks for the info, I will definitely use that for the next one!