AuthorTopic: Kitchen and Moms Room  (Read 2457 times)

Offline ChillTaco

• View Profile

Kitchen and Moms Room

on: November 05, 2016, 01:20:59 am
I made a kitchen. Uhh, this is the first kitchen Ive ever made... Ive seem to run into a lot of firsts in this attept to make a game.... Anyway... cant I just post all these bgs in one spot?  Being that my ahh.... partner droped out I kinda need the feedback.. so can I just post my @#$@ here? In one post... when I make it...

Ahh yea... that wall MysteryMeat made... kinda works for everything.. which is good cause I was just going to use a blank color.

Anyway, I know the bgs are boring... I just... you know... am not very good at this. I cant even stand to put like... nick nacks and a book shelf in the mothers room. And kitchen table... lol. its so creative... yea. thats the word.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 02:12:44 am by ChillTaco »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Kitchen and Moms Room

Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 02:46:14 am
Try different shapes for rooms! Houses usually aren't squares, and it can create great visual appeal!

Also, try making the kitchen area one piece, like an embedded counter with cabinets and oven, etc.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline ChillTaco

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 10:54:45 pm
ahh. I dont know, Ive never been in a room that was roundish or an octogon... Soo... something like this maybe?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 10:58:13 pm by ChillTaco »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 11:22:24 pm
Yes, exactly! Separate kitchen and dining room is pretty common.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 01:18:39 am
Rounded/octogonal rooms might be rare, but it's very common to see rooms that aren't square or rectangles, but more like a bunch of rectangles super-imposed, such as L-shapes or blocks with corners missing. It's not uncommon to have weird angles, too. Rooms are rarely perfectly symmetrical. Symmetry might seem to make sense when you think of just a room, but in the context of a building with multiple rooms, it's usually impractical.
Check out the weird bedroom shapes here, the result of having to fit in closets and a bathroom.
Even this simple, blocky layout doesn't have a single room that's a proper rectangle. This example has some 45 degree angles, perhaps because the house is in an odd location.

While I doubt anyone expects you to become a proper architect just to make a game, thinking about how your different areas interconnect and fit inside a building can help you make a more believable location, one that feels like it could exist. It doesn't have to make perfect sense; it's perfectly fine to have some impossible architecture like rooms that are larger or smaller than the hallways between them would suggest, or overlapping spaces, if those would make the gameplay better. However, each individual space should feel like it's part of a larger building, and the occasional angled corner or L-shaped room is a great way to achieve that.