AuthorTopic: Objects, Ive never made them really.  (Read 7497 times)

Offline ChillTaco

• View Profile

Objects, Ive never made them really.

on: October 28, 2016, 02:54:26 pm
Im not to good at... uhh back round things. This is because Ive never made them before ever. Im not trying to do the best job, but I want it to at least look ok. The animations are just there to see how they look near the objects... I dont feel like doing the best of jobs. It takes to long to do a good job.

Ahh man, that bed.... I dont know why I made it at the angle I did.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:10:21 pm by ChillTaco »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Objects, Ive never made them really.

Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 05:29:30 pm
I think the angled bed is a good idea for a topdown game, gives the room a sense of depth it otherwise might not have. Maybe less so if it's a sidescroller, but if you're just interested in passable work this can easily do it for now.

If you want some crits: the dressers are too flat, from that angle you'd see more of the tops of them. The window/poster is just a blank orange square, curtains, a pattern, or a window sill might make it clearer. The rug is a great design, it contrasts well with the protagonist walking on it, but it might help to layer floor under it to better gauge how it works as a whole, i'd try woods of various types for that.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline ChillTaco

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 09:47:53 pm
Thank you, that was super helpful. I think I fixed it... maybe. I made four different floors. THree of them blow, I like tha basic generic florring the best so far.

.... I like like toilet humor. shhh.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 08:57:34 pm
I think the top right contrasts best personally, maybe apply those colors to the bottom left's template?

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 11:21:15 am
I like the carpet room but I didn't like the color. I changed it to a gray. I like the bottom left wooden floor but the color needs to be reworked.

I think the bed is the best prop you made! I agree with Mystery with the dressers. They look too flat. The tops of the dressers should be more visible and they shouldn't taper or have perspective on them like the small dresser. Also, these are little nitpicks but I think the top of the lamp should look rounder and something seems "off" with the bat. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe smooth out the lines? Anyway, keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:28:01 am by heyguy »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 11:42:17 am
The bat looks off because it's resting on the floor in front of the dresser, skewing the perspective on it.
It looks like it's leaning on the forward corner of the dresser, making it look like it's "floating" a little bit!

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 01:27:11 pm
Made some more edits, hope you don't mind. Changed the dressers to show more the the top like we were talking about. Might have gone overboard  ;D Moved the dressers forward too. I think the perspective of the bat works a little better now that the dresser is pushed a bit forward.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 07:19:08 pm
yellow wood floor version is best.  every other version has clashing colors.

it's also much cleaner.  the other floor textures are too busy and uncontrolled pixels

Offline ChillTaco

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 01:41:09 am
Heyguy, Your  a boss. Ive never done bg's for a game before... or tile sets. Most of my experece in pixels is actually with side scrollers so... lol. Anyway. Thanks for showing me what was the correct. I think Ill just take out the bat. Ill just put it in the dressers or somthing.

Anyway. Colors. I tryed to base everything I did off all the lovely advice I was given from all the balling cool people who helped me out. Man, This forum is awesome.

Also, dont worry about telling me how it is or fixing what you guys think needs fixed. It makes things a million times easyer for me if you do, cause then I dont need to rely on my stupid self.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 03:26:50 am by ChillTaco »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 09:05:26 am
Gotta say, I like the personality you put into even the previews. That's a good habit to keep hold of even for sketches, those little vignettes can mean a lot.
As for design, I gotta say, I think the diagonal pattern might not be the way to go. It kind of distracts from the whole a bit, takes attention away from the objects you should be focusing on. A flat wood surface like you were initially drawing might be a better angle to go for. I do like how the pink contrasts with the blues though, so a rosewood floor might be a smart idea to run with.

I think some things along the leading edge might also be helpful for the composition of the room, as it is the bottom edge feels kind of empty and could benefit from maybe a long dresser, or even just shortening the room a couple tiles from the bottom.