AuthorTopic: Attack Animation  (Read 28088 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Attack Animation

Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 01:19:11 am

I want to keep the arm dropping and dragging, as it's been stuck in my head as the main function of the whole thing. Hopefully the bit of editing with the effects cleared that up, but I do want it.  To compromise, I hopefully made it seem more weighty in how she sort of drags in along the ground before being able to lift it to a ready position.  I feel as though the effects could use some work, but hopefully making it a straight punch sells it a bit better.

I don't think the final attack is quite as heavy as I want it to be, but it's definitely an improvement.

this was ages ago, but what I meant with all of my post was not to tell you to remove the arm dragging, what I meant is have it drag a lot lot more. Have her only be able to pick up her arm at the very moment she makes her uppercut, and make the rest of the animation her using all of her bodyweight and strength just to get that arm to move a little, in fact what I meant was that the power of her dash should be the only thing that actually gets that arm to move, and the result of that dash is the arm moving in a pendulum motion that makes her whole body drag helplessly behind that super heavy fist moving at the speed of her dash, and ends as the uppercut. That would really sell the unbelievable amount of weight it's supposed to have.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:22:11 am by Conzeit »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 05:41:20 am

I want to keep the arm dropping and dragging, as it's been stuck in my head as the main function of the whole thing. Hopefully the bit of editing with the effects cleared that up, but I do want it.  To compromise, I hopefully made it seem more weighty in how she sort of drags in along the ground before being able to lift it to a ready position.  I feel as though the effects could use some work, but hopefully making it a straight punch sells it a bit better.

I don't think the final attack is quite as heavy as I want it to be, but it's definitely an improvement.

this was ages ago, but what I meant with all of my post was not to tell you to remove the arm dragging, what I meant is have it drag a lot lot more. Have her only be able to pick up her arm at the very moment she makes her uppercut, and make the rest of the animation her using all of her bodyweight and strength just to get that arm to move a little, in fact what I meant was that the power of her dash should be the only thing that actually gets that arm to move, and the result of that dash is the arm moving in a pendulum motion that makes her whole body drag helplessly behind that super heavy fist moving at the speed of her dash, and ends as the uppercut. That would really sell the unbelievable amount of weight it's supposed to have.

Yeah, a bit late, but whatever. 

I was planning on making another set with these same characters, because while I like what I've done, I'm not 100% sold on my execution.  I like where Pink ended up, but I think I can visualize the kind of thing you're talking about.  I still got one last one I'll do, then I think I'll see about working on improving them.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: January 21, 2017, 04:46:53 am

And that's seven.

I like how this animates, but I feel it's a bit less impactful than what I imagined...  I'll see about correcting that when I redo it, but if there's anything I'm really missing, let me know.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #33 on: January 21, 2017, 05:49:09 am
Time the slam better with the movement and give it less frames so it's faster. Possibly even vibrate or add some crack-effects to it for more force
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 04:56:16 pm
You have a very pose-to-pose animation style, but you for whatever reason smooth out and add frames during the fastest movements, yet the motions which should be slow are too quick.

I feel as though you are lacking anticipation of motion too. Too little wind-up before movement, especially if you're using a super-exaggerated animation style.

Here's how I'd start to approach in fixing the issues. Added a small lean back before the big movement at the beginning, removed a few frames, duplicated a few frames, added a small anticpatory motion before the raised arms. I removed the end for the sake of saving time. Obviously it's not polished up, but I hope I could get my points across.

Hopefully, I could help. By the way, are these made for anything specific, or just for fun?

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 04:53:18 am
Time the slam better with the movement and give it less frames so it's faster. Possibly even vibrate or add some crack-effects to it for more force

It didn't occur to me until you mentioned it, but the arm should be treated as an independent entity of the girl.  It's a summon pretty much, and does things at it's own pace. 

You have a very pose-to-pose animation style, but you for whatever reason smooth out and add frames during the fastest movements, yet the motions which should be slow are too quick.

I feel as though you are lacking anticipation of motion too. Too little wind-up before movement, especially if you're using a super-exaggerated animation style.

Here's how I'd start to approach in fixing the issues. Added a small lean back before the big movement at the beginning, removed a few frames, duplicated a few frames, added a small anticpatory motion before the raised arms. I removed the end for the sake of saving time. Obviously it's not polished up, but I hope I could get my points across.

Hopefully, I could help. By the way, are these made for anything specific, or just for fun?

I played around with the removing of the frames, and changed some things that I felt needed a change.  The skeleton arm is now supposed to be a sort of bladed arm and has a more detached movement, the girl disappears in a different way other than just breaking apart, and I completely reworked the last bit to have a bit more action. 

As for what they are, they're pretty much power displays for the characters I've designed for the sake of world building, animation/general art practice, and just cause it's fun.   For example, this character is associated with demons and spirits (They're all based on general RPG archetypes, in order Hero, Healer, Warrior, Rogue, Hunter, Bard, Tiefling), which is why she had horns, and why her hair goes white.  In this, she uses her magic to make the portal, summoning one of her demons (the arm), uses spirit magic/another demon to become ghostlike, then summons the black and white demon. 
When I make another set of these, I plan on utilizing their other powers/traits/etc. with what I've learned here.  There's a lot of stuff I couldn't execute properly or as well as I wanted to, so I'll try again.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 05:42:36 am

Ended up making a bit of a smaller scale animation trying for some more snappy movements.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: February 09, 2017, 05:51:52 am

Bootknife.

I like this one a bit better.  I don't know why, but it feels a lot cleaner to me.  I started playing around with a gimmick which is that the magic effects/some smear frames take place at a different speed.  I think it worked out here pretty well.

Offline mafon2

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 08:45:58 pm
I think the hair should be more "kinetic".

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 07:32:30 pm

Added a bit of ponytail movement and reversed where it falls from to better fit the force I was going for.