AuthorTopic: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: FOURTEEN VIDEOS!  (Read 242241 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: FOURTEEN VIDEOS!

Reply #251 on: January 17, 2010, 12:25:34 pm
There also Camstudio, which works well for free recording software. You just have to optimize the settings, which is a hassle, but you can find tutorials on youtube. (It and my sound card also seem to be at an impass)
It has a lot of useful options like recording a whole window, or a set size, or clicking and dragging, and no watermark (unless you want one).

This thread seems like a win-win situation, help people and get critique.
It also seems to be a good way to be coached on the the means, not only the end.

I'll try a video later!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #252 on: January 29, 2010, 05:15:10 pm
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=9801.msg106845#msg106845

this too.

Is this helpful to anyone? Sometimes the original posters bail which is disheartening. Does anyone else have the fortitude to watch through those videos, if so, are they useful? Should I keep doing it? Perhaps keep to sped-up edits without text explanations? Some feedback, please.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #253 on: January 29, 2010, 06:10:55 pm
Looking at those is definitely good for distancing yourself from your own bad habits, but sped up is the way to go. Gives a good fast look on how to achieve something, while at normal speed one might lose track of what's going on. Texts could be reduced to bullet points on what you're trying to achieve. Audio commentary would be best of course.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #254 on: January 29, 2010, 11:47:09 pm
The videos are extremely useful to me, bt  at times I don't fully understand why you did something. I suggest keeping it at real speed and putting commentary to highlight important points.

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #255 on: January 30, 2010, 06:21:51 am
I remember that one platformer mockup you did helm, i downloaded promotion just to see how you did that thing where you made a tile in one square and it repeated in others near it but i never figured it out. Also the download is sort of big each time so sometimes i just dont bother downloading them but they are very useful!

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #256 on: January 30, 2010, 01:25:36 pm
I find them valuable. Not to same degree as the ground-up art demos, because the construction stage interests me most. But correcting flaws raises unique problems that you might not encounter otherwise.

For me, increased video-speed actually aids comprehension - I tested, & 3x seemed around optimal for me. Any slower & my mind wanders. Although real-time speed is interesting on a personal level, mostly as a yardstick for my own workflow.

If anything, I'd increase emphasis on text explanation. It's the give-man-a-fish/teach-man-to-fish dilemma.

Oh, & more prog. That's vital.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #257 on: January 30, 2010, 01:37:26 pm
I'll perhaps attempt a voiceover track once on a double or triple speed video and see how it goes. Thank you for all the feedback.

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #258 on: February 27, 2010, 12:34:56 am
Here is my attempt to it :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BJKXSFI2

Here is the result :

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #259 on: June 21, 2010, 06:26:22 am
In Linux, key-mon (http://code.google.com/p/key-mon/) is instructive to see how well you utilize the keyboard . I dare say there are similar apps for Windows or MacOSX
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.