AuthorTopic: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: FOURTEEN VIDEOS!  (Read 241038 times)

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: ELEVEN VIDEOS!

Reply #170 on: December 11, 2006, 03:22:10 am

Thanks braugh. I'm gonna screw around with the Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM palettes now.

[edit]

Watched this a couple of times thru now, and I'm really impressed. I must say of all the videos I've seen so far, this one has taught me the most about cool unknown PM gizmos. I'll be replicating this workflow and posting a breakdown of the steps taken.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 04:58:49 am by pkmays »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #171 on: December 11, 2006, 08:06:33 am
Glad you liked it pk. A lot of it is dow to me using Promotion since almost 2 years now virtually daily at work. I would say that i have around 4000 hours in Promotion so far no problem.

I think I will attempt some proper index painting soon, with the plan to make a video as well, but that will take quite a bit longer, as it will involve more pixelling towards the end of the workflow and it might get quite massive. MIght have to go 8x speed or something :D
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #172 on: December 11, 2006, 01:20:53 pm

Index painted. Sadly didn't video. Very fast to make art like that, it has its merits and its deficiencies. This, with a layer of pixel-by-pixel work is how demoscene people worked, I guess. Dirty tools make everything too blurry, you have to go in and fix stuff by hand always. Otherwise, it's an interesting thing to try.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: The Recorded Pixel Art Project :: TEN VIDEOS!

Reply #173 on: December 11, 2006, 11:47:06 pm
Because pkmays was molesting me via pm I made a quick video doing a quake texture.
Be warned, this will be extrfemely confusing if you don't know ProMotion and it might even be if you do.

VIDEO - ~33 megs
Cool, the only thing I don't understand is how you have 4  images in one document.
One Is the stencil, One is the spare frame, One is the current frame. Where's the 4th come from?
For the kind of video you did, it really needs a little keyboard status display, because you do a lot of things with the keyboard that are 'invisible' from the point of view of the video.
I don't really understand why you painted over the same thing many times.. Only the last few times actually seemed to *partially* apply paint (doesn't ProMotion have a way to floodfill the paintable area using the current paint mode?). It looked like you got a bit flustered actually.
I'm gonna go through the video again and note the stuff that I could use (like multiple grid settings; and is the stencil automatically refreshed based on the content of a particular frame? I know color-stencils (ie. protected colors) are possible, but I couldn't tell if what you did was as permanent as that, or would just last until the next time you manually edited the stencil mask.)

EDIT: actually, with the amount you used blur, it really should wrap around edges. That'd have to be an option. Know if it's going to be in the upcoming version of PM?
Or a way to offset by w/2, h/2 would also work around it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:57:56 pm by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #174 on: December 12, 2006, 07:56:25 am
Good god. These videos make me want to partition a windows XP drive on my mac just so that I can get pro motion.

So, quick question to those who use it - have you been able to duplicate many of the techniques that pro motion uses in Photoshop? And if not, is it worth $80 and a few hours' worth of time in order to get it and use it?
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #175 on: December 12, 2006, 08:31:56 am
I don't really understand why you painted over the same thing many times.. Only the last few times actually seemed to *partially* apply paint (doesn't ProMotion have a way to floodfill the paintable area using the current paint mode?). It looked like you got a bit flustered actually.

Err, He kept tinkering with the texture until he was happy with it?
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #176 on: December 12, 2006, 08:38:14 am
Err, He kept tinkering with the texture until he was happy with it?

'Over' being the keyword. I'd understand painting all over it, not liking the result, and then undoing it -- but what ptoing did was just do something, do something else that leaves no trace of the previous, do another thing that leaves no trace...
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #177 on: December 12, 2006, 11:56:46 am
Painting over it with the current tool, or undoing it, would it have made any difference in this case? Both cases would result in the same effect, though undoing it would be slightly slower.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 02:15:27 pm by Frychiko »
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #178 on: December 12, 2006, 12:51:08 pm
have you been able to duplicate many of the techniques that pro motion uses in Photoshop? And if not, is it worth $80 and a few hours' worth of time in order to get it and use it?

Pro Mo is made for pixel art. It has stuff photoshop can't replicate. It's worth the money and effort to have it if you're serious about pixel art.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #179 on: December 13, 2006, 01:10:54 pm
Painting over it with the current tool, or undoing it, would it have made any difference in this case?
Yes - In particular, the incremental application of blur produces different effects than applying only (more or less) what turns out to work well.