AuthorTopic: Bubbly cadaver woman! [C+C]  (Read 3520 times)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Bubbly cadaver woman! [C+C]

on: October 19, 2016, 07:32:29 am
I'm working on a character for an ongoing project of mine (ongoing meaning "Developing so slow my computer's starting to grow moss") and I'm designing one of the recurring characters.
The running theme of the game is horrible monsters in mundane situations, and I'm having to do a surprising amount of fiddling with outfit designs to get the proper feel out there. She's supposed to be kind of a bubbly type, sort of that stoner chick a lot of people know.

Does anyone have some advice for how to dress her up a bit better? I could also use advice for creating turnarounds, I find it pretty hard to keep things consistent with them and I've no idea why!

No clothes

"Beta" clothes

PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Re: Bubbly cadaver woman! [C+C]

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 03:36:19 pm
Is she a skeleton ninja?

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 09:35:29 pm
Nope! Walking corpse. Also an attempt at having cyclops make more sense, the secondary ball on the back of her head is a brain case segmented from the eye.

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 12:52:10 am

Here is an edit. Adjusted proportions and skeleton. Also added shading and changed some colors.

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 03:13:39 am
Those are definitely good tweaks and I appreciate it, but it clashes with the cartoonier art style I have going with the game so far a bit. What you have puts me more in mind of cheesy old 40s/60s sci-fi illustrations than the more simple grim horror tone I'm after. It's a good aesthetic for sure, but not one I'm currently skilled or even dedicated enough to make.

Still, you've pointed out a few tweaks where I'd actually goofed pretty good on my own there. The whole is supposed to look vaguely inhuman (even a bit mangled, as you can see in the bisected neck and hollowed chest), and the arms are free-floating, but your corrections on the pelvic area and some of the leg shapes are unintended goofs and I've hopefully corrected them below.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 10:57:08 am
Interesting character design! I'm not sure you've captured bubbly or stoner girl with the current dress she's got on. The white sun dress and blue sash makes her seem nice and wholesome. The type of monster I'd like to introduce to my mom.

I feel like a stoner girl would be more casual in what she would wear. Jeans and band t shirt, maybe a beanie or hat, shorts, boys windbreaker jacket, black stockings, etc. A bubbly girl would wear something with like...rainbow stockings, contrasting colors or garmets(white shirt, blue skirt, tie), red skirt, red polka dot shirt, layered clothing, etc, etc. Just my opinion. Keep it up!

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 11:12:21 am
Interesting character design! I'm not sure you've captured bubbly or stoner girl with the current dress she's got on. The white sun dress and blue sash makes her seem nice and wholesome. The type of monster I'd like to introduce to my mom.

I feel like a stoner girl would be more casual in what she would wear. Jeans and band t shirt, maybe a beanie or hat, shorts, boys windbreaker jacket, black stockings, etc. A bubbly girl would wear something with like...rainbow stockings, contrasting colors or garmets(white shirt, blue skirt, tie), red skirt, red polka dot shirt, layered clothing, etc, etc. Just my opinion. Keep it up!

These are good notes! She's not supposed to be flower-child stoner bubbly though (despite my wording it as such, doi), more excitable-denny's-waitress bubbly, but you're right about her seeming more "wholesome" than I might have otherwise intended! I'll give a go at some accessories, I'm thinking some flip-flops and the jacket might tie the outfit together a bit more, (though I might have to tweak it pretty heavily since her arms are free-floating).
Still, thank you!

EDIT:
New concept's done, thoughts? Went with a vest instead of a jacket to work with her lack of actual shoulders
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:58:48 pm by MysteryMeat »

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 12:12:24 pm
The vest works for the unique personality you're aiming for. I think the white dress she's wearing is the thing that's making her look wholesome. Another color for the dress might work better. I'm not sure the gloves work with the character design by the way. The long white gloves remind me of wedding gloves. Another reason why maybe I'm getting a wholesome vibe. It feels a lot less wholesome now with the changes but I don't think the gloves mesh with the character personality. Just my opinion though! Good work on the sandals! Really awesome how you're able to create such nice sandals with only a few well placed pixels.