AuthorTopic: Make and share custom palettes (2 to 4096 colors, preferably 2 to 9)  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl
You can make and share palettes here. Don't rate palettes, just create a palette and describe uses for colors. Note that 3 and 9 color palettes can be used for ternary computer storage. My palettes are text-based so you can modify source code. It's in this format:
Code: [Select]
[color=black]█[/color]
black, blue, red, magenta, gray, lime, cyan, yellow, white, #ff7f00, etc...

My 2 color palette:

This is a basic 2-color palette, intended for basic text (think yellow on black). Could change the yellow color into cyan, green or white.

My 3 color palette:

The cyan makes a sky, the yellow is for sun. Dithering them results in green for grass. You could also dither yellow with black for dirt, or cyan with black for rain.

My 4 color palette:

This one adds red that could be used for fire and dithered with yellow. Also contains a ramp black-red-yellow that can be used for anti-aliasing.

Classic 8 color palette:

Can use any color by dithering. The palette colors are nice and saturated.

My 9 color palette:

Adds gray for anti-aliasing.

I have an image with binary storage palettes (I used my custom font):

16-color palette's utility is to complete biggest gaps (for human eyes) in hue circle, and to add some grays and brown. Colors can be inversed.
256-color palette is a websafe palette with anti-aliasing ramps to create in total 16 equal spaced shades of black-white, black-yellow, black-cyan and black-red.
4096-color palette uses 16 levels/4 bits for red, green and blue.
Grayscale and yellowscale are for anti-aliasing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 06:41:12 am by Piotr »

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl
Bump

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl
Why don't you reply? Do you hate me?

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB
Is there a reason we should hate you? Do you want us to hate you?

Why does no one reply? I presume it's because people have grown tired of palette threads and discussing palettes or palette generators or really basic stuff like pixelling standard ellipses repeatedly.

Offline Achrileg

• Achrileg
    • View Profile
Yeah, well, personally I feel palettes can be a decent tool starting out, but can limit yourself a lot. I think it's a lot more constructive devising color guidelines which you follow (eg., characters are bright, saturated, background is desaturated, grey.)

Looks like I'm not the only one to share this sentiment.

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl
Is there a reason we should hate you? Do you want us to hate you?

Why does no one reply? I presume it's because people have grown tired of palette threads and discussing palettes or palette generators or really basic stuff like pixelling standard ellipses repeatedly.
Nevertheless I want to see your attempts in 2 to 9 color palettes, just like you did 16 color. Also I want to see which ellipses are best to you by making them. Also pixelling ellipses is not basic stuff, you must know how to calculate square roots.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:41:50 pm by Piotr »

Offline Kairos

• xlion95
    • View Profile
Here is my 8 colors  ;D

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl
Here is my 8 colors  ;D

Nice! What will you make for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 colors? If you have time, do 16, 27, 32, 64, 81, 243, 256, 512, 729, 1024, 2048, 2187, 4096, 6561, 8192, 16384, 19683, 32768, 59049, 65536 color palettes. You can use a simple RGB cube generator for these large ones: http://img.uninhabitant.com/colourcube.html
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:01:15 pm by Piotr »

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl
Here is my 8 colors  ;D

Bump: Make 2 to 9 color palettes too, and maybe 16 and 27 and 32 if you can.