AuthorTopic: Commercial Critique - The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap  (Read 118631 times)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Commercial Critique - The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 12:10:00 am

I'm especially concerned by the ramps of some of the greens and dog-pee yellows.

Remember the choice to use brighter colors to counter the lack of a backlight on the initial GBA models. Never had one without, so who knows what kind of look was intended here.

I did have one and the game (not anymore, though) and I later got ahold of the laptop looking one, and I recall it giving a bit of a darker, somewhat washed-out look without the back-light.
After fiddling with aseprite I made this as a reasonable approximation, it's probably not 100% accurate since I'm working off memory but I remember everything having a slight green tint because of the screen.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #41 on: December 11, 2016, 02:40:34 pm
I especially love the way Minish Cap brings diversity and theme-fitting in the dungeons.
- vs -
They avoided noisy textures on the playable floors and used instead slight details that suggests defects in the pattern (place where floor is damaged, where wood has cracks, etc).
They also very smartly exploited walls to come with visually very insteresting doors and wall corners.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: May 28, 2017, 06:10:42 pm
This poor thread's been on the front page for like eight months now, and only has a few replies. I guess that means Minish Cap is pretty good looking, hahah! =)
That said, I didn't like a lot of the color choices for the game. A lot of them felt a little harsh and unnatural to me, even playing on the GBA. A lot of the tilesets are super saturated and gaudy, at least to my eyes.

Offline Melodee

• omg
    • jarajaramelon
    • beardedgrandma
    • Jara de Nooijer
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 07:16:22 pm
well i played it ages ago and it was definitely my favourite zelda game

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 05:17:37 am
Sorry if inappropriate for this thread, but I wonder what it takes to bend your mind to work in this perspective?
I tried briefly and got brainhurt (OCD!).

If anyone has broken through this wall, perhaps you could share.
Are there some basic principals and rules to follow?
Certain conditions to avoid and suggested workarounds?
If so, it seems appropriate to relate these back to examples from this particular game for the sake of this thread.
Perhaps taking this thinking out of it allows us to ignore the illogic and just paint!

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: June 20, 2018, 04:45:16 pm
It might be easier to understand it as having the four walls all be angled differently, depending on the direction they are facing.

Offline pixel3r

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: October 14, 2020, 07:54:49 am
Sorry if inappropriate for this thread, but I wonder what it takes to bend your mind to work in this perspective?
I tried briefly and got brainhurt (OCD!).

If anyone has broken through this wall, perhaps you could share.
Are there some basic principals and rules to follow?
Certain conditions to avoid and suggested workarounds?
If so, it seems appropriate to relate these back to examples from this particular game for the sake of this thread.
Perhaps taking this thinking out of it allows us to ignore the illogic and just paint!

I have been wondering the same, i cant seem to figure out how to break the walls