AuthorTopic: Small demon? New Artist  (Read 5420 times)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Small demon? New Artist

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 01:52:32 pm
The tutorial is about thinking in terms of tufts and layers of fur rather than single strands. Although some furry animals, especially young ones, are nondescript fuzzballs, most have distinct tufts or even layers of tufts that their fur clumps into. For example, check out the lines on the neck and chest of this bear, and on the abdomen of this one. By stylising these clumps, you can get fur that reads well, communicates the form, and looks awesome. Although normally I recommend looking at the real thing over artists' renditions, in this case other art might help you see this clumping more clearly, since some animal artists have it down to a science. Here, for example, check out how the artist has used both layers and tufts on the back of the front legs, while keeping some parts smooth, which gives a sense of varying, flowing fur. Some(1) more(2) inspiration(3). These are all paintings so they have room to add more detail, but the basic idea of clumping carries over to pixel art fairly well.

You should check out this thread here on Pixelation, it deals with pixelling fur in a couple of different ways, at a size comparable to yours. Clumping is very helpful to keep in mind when deciding where to place the shadows/texture that creates the fur.

Offline Kairos

• xlion95
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 05:45:59 pm
I've managed to remove any sort of cohesive shading across the whole thing

You should try restricting some colors to the parts of the animal that are in light and some colors that you'll only use for the parts that are in shadow and add more contrast between the colors because they may all be a little too similar.

Offline bearkin333

• I'm a bear kinda guy.
    • @cary_reese
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 06:38:57 pm
I used a real picture of a bear to trace the outline for the sprite, I don't know why I didn't think of using it as reference for the fur as well.
That's a lot of really helpful information, thank you so much! I'll try to rework it again with all this in mind. I'm not usually very good at real art, so I think maybe just practicing in general will help me get a sense for all this. I appreciate you guys sticking with me.

Voice actor, programmer, artist, I do whatever I can. :D

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 12:58:08 pm

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 01:01:49 pm by lachrymose »