AuthorTopic: Replacement for Photoshop - Suggestions?  (Read 10107 times)

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Replacement for Photoshop - Suggestions?

on: October 08, 2006, 07:10:00 pm
I want something portable and more suited for doing mainly pixel art. Things I need:

Ability to hotkey the following tools:

Eyedropper
Eraser
Paintbucket
Pencil

I've used Photoshop for almost 8 years now but Photoshop CS has been crashing on me like crazy lately. Any reccomendations on a more simple product suited for pixel art?
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Re: Replacement for Photoshop - Suggestions?

Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 07:24:39 pm
Most of the great pixel artists from around here (Helm, Ptoing...) recommend Cosmigo's ProMotion. I haven't tried it, because I'm using a Mac, but it is suposed to be the best pixeling application that exist at the time.
A great number of pixelers out there also like GraphicsGale. I'm not very fond of it, but I haven't used it that much (only when I'm at my grandmother's house).
If you're using a Mac (because the previous two only work on motherfucking son of a bitch Windows) you should try Pixen. Has everything a pixeler needs (plus, icons/graphics made by Pep and Miguel, if I remember correctly). but crashes an awful lot.

I don't know what's up with your Photoshop, but I find it perfect for pixeling...I sometimes switch to Pixen, but it never lasts.

Hope I was helpful...

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 07:32:55 pm
I love GraphicsGale, personally. Just about every function can be set to a custom hotkey, it's got great pallette control, too.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 07:46:39 pm
Go back to photoshop 5

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 08:26:40 pm
Most of the great pixel artists from around here (Helm, Ptoing...) recommend Cosmigo's ProMotion. I haven't tried it, because I'm using a Mac, but it is suposed to be the best pixeling application that exist at the time.
A great number of pixelers out there also like GraphicsGale. I'm not very fond of it, but I haven't used it that much (only when I'm at my grandmother's house).
If you're using a Mac (because the previous two only work on motherfucking son of a bitch Windows) you should try Pixen. Has everything a pixeler needs (plus, icons/graphics made by Pep and Miguel, if I remember correctly). but crashes an awful lot.

I don't know what's up with your Photoshop, but I find it perfect for pixeling...I sometimes switch to Pixen, but it never lasts.

Hope I was helpful...

I'll be working on something and none of the drop downs respond when I try to access them to save or something. I end up having to screenshot what I'm working on, paste it in paint, restart photoshop, etc.. I personally prefer photoshop, maybe I just need to reinstall this machine, it's been a while.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline government.agent

• The LCD is the retina of the mind's eye
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 10:59:52 pm
That behavior is indicative of a virus/trojan infestation. Most likely your whole HD is infected. If you'll do me a small favor I can tell you for sure what's going on with your machine.

Download hijackthis: http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

Run it and select "Do a system scan and save a logfile"

It will produce a text file... copy all of it and post it in this thread. I'll examine it and we'll go from there.

Yours,
GA

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 12:24:01 am
GA, thanks for your offer, but my machine just needs a good cleaning. I've already backed up my 200gb drive onto tape, going to wipe it in a few days. GA, if you don't mind me asking, do you work in IT?
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline government.agent

• The LCD is the retina of the mind's eye
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 05:53:24 am
I have a lot of IT experience.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 03:02:06 pm
I'll be working on something and none of the drop downs respond when I try to access them to save or something. I end up having to screenshot what I'm working on, paste it in paint, restart photoshop, etc.. I personally prefer photoshop, maybe I just need to reinstall this machine, it's been a while.

Heh, I had the exact same problem. If I remeber correctly, it had to do with Photoshop (CS2 only though, CS1 didn't have that problem here) running out of memory. I don't remeber however how I got rid of the problem :/
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 03:08:32 pm
Adobe Customer Support: ...buy more memory!

Anyway, heh, memory leaks are fun.

Pro Motion is the one true way.