AuthorTopic: Experiments with High-Res Tiles  (Read 6032 times)

Offline cheatsguy

• View Profile

Experiments with High-Res Tiles

on: September 29, 2016, 06:10:35 am
hello everyone  ;D

In my downtime I've had a chance to experiment with making some higher resolution tiles rather than just using pixel art. I'm moderately happy with the results so far but I could use some advice from better artists, for sure. So far all I have is a cobble tile, and a set of tiles transitioning to dirt:

a few notes:

• tiles are 256x256, and will be used at 128x128 in-game.
  • yes, I know the dirt is just the same texture as the rock, but I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to make it look nice on its own.
  • I'll be making my own normal maps and using lighting in-game, so having lighting on the actual tiles would be redundant at best and bad at worst.

also, a grass texture I'm really not sold on at all:

thanks in advance :)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Experiments with High-Res Tiles

Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 06:57:46 am
I think you need to tweak the colors and give it a more notable grain, or flow pattern. The grass right now just looks like chaotic astroturf, it's TOO green and way too regular-yet-unpatterned!
Even some small flowers and bits of longer/shorter grass and dirt would help it along!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:06:11 am
For the cobblestone, note that the stones have a roundish top and jut out from the surrounding dirt. So they will receive light from one side while also, depending on the light angle, cast a shadow on the dirt on the opposite side. Use the bevel layer style in photoshop, or it's equivalent, so see the effect.

Offline cheatsguy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 07:18:23 pm
Cherno, I am planning on drawing some height maps and then converting to normals for use with my game's lighting engine, once fully implemented. For now it looks extremely flat but that will be fixed when actually put in the game.

MysteryMeat, as far as being too green, is that more a problem with the actual coloration or rather with the lack of other details? if the former, I'll be able to tweak the colors, and for the latter I'd be able to make variants with decorations or dirt patches.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 01:00:33 am
It's kinda both, I'd desaturate it just slightly, like maybe five points, and see if it looks better. The lack of differentiated details on it though makes it seem more like a mowed lawn than a patch of natural grass though.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline cheatsguy

• View Profile

Grass, now with less Astroturf!

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 04:54:41 pm

I'm starting to really like how this looks, one problem though:

for some reason, it tiles -really- poorly and I'm not quite sure how to fix it ;-; is there any software that allows for real-time tiled image testing?if there is that'd be amazing, guys.

EDIT: updated the image to full resolution
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:16:10 pm by cheatsguy »