AuthorTopic: I can't pixel art!  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Waxtor1

• View Profile

I can't pixel art!

on: September 27, 2016, 02:29:52 am
I don't know if it just takes a lot of time and patients but I can't pixel art at all without getting frustrated with my work. I've watched a lot of youtube tutorials and its still complicated like trying to get the shapes right eg.(head,arms,legs) Please help! would be great if you could link some good tutorial sites,maybe even your own work showing steps of how you developed it. Thanks! :)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: I can't pixel art!

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:38:10 am
Google the andrew loomis guides. Pixelart is a slightly advanced, almost mathematical kind of art that is best handled as an extension on a base of normal artistic ability.
Depending on your description of your skills, I'm recommending starting with Fun with a Pencil followed by his book on Figure drawings.
The books are hosted in several places right now, easily found theough google, and I can't recommend him highly enough.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Waxtor1

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:11:44 am
Here is my first head I don't know how I can make it better tho

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 03:27:25 am by PixelPiledriver »

jun

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:33:27 am
I don't know if it just takes a lot of time and patients but I can't pixel art at all without getting frustrated with my work.
No matter what the skill is that you're trying to learn, art, programming, carpentry, whatever, you need to practice. You need to put in time. No one can practice and work for you, only you can.
There's nothing to get frustrated about.
So what if you're bad? Practice. Try to find out what you're doing, why you're doing it, ask for feedback, iterate, practice! 
So what if it takes a lot of time? Put in the time. You'll get quicker and more efficient.

Don't put yourself down too much, keep going, keep practicing, you'll get there  :)
I've watched a lot of youtube tutorials and its still complicated like trying to get the shapes right eg.(head,arms,legs) Please help!  :)

Most tutorials are to me a waste of time. Get out of the tutorial mindset. You need to learn how to learn. Stay away from concrete formulas preached by many "tutorials" out there.

To learn how to learn, you need to again PUT IN TIME, PRACTICE!  :) Find resources, look for advice, you have the entire wealth of human knowledge at your fingertips!

would be great if you could link some good tutorial sites,maybe even your own work showing steps of how you developed it. Thanks!

You're on the best website for that. Look around, there's a tags button, read all the posts, search for a topic you want more information about. Again, you need to do things yourself, you have all the resources available to you at your doorstep, you just need to open the door. 

Learning the fundamentals of Art first will go a long way. Pixelart is just art. All the fundamentals apply, the medium is different, technique is different. You don't HAVE to, but I think it's the fastest way to improve.

I'll link a few resources. Take your TIME WITH THEM. DO NOT RUSH. You're not helping yourself by doing that.
These are very information dense. You need to go slow. I cannot stress this enough.
www.proko.com/library/
www.drawabox.com
http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm
http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299
And a million more.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 03:40:08 am by jun »

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 05:12:05 pm
think like you wouldn't think yourself, push the boundries, do the "yolo lets try overkilling this" and just push yourself out of your own comfort zone, I did so, and I started to like what I make :)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 04:14:28 am
As others have said, pixel art is just a specific area of art, and the best way to improve your pixel art is just to improve your art.

That said, the most valuable idea to me, in learning art, has simply been 'making an artwork is not the same as making drawings'. You make drawings in order to try to understand your subject, but drawings don't have to look like anything "sensible" -- they just have to help you think. After doing a bunch of drawings, you might feel you have a good understanding -- then you might be ready to make an artwork. If you simply start out and attempt to make an artwork, you don't have the understanding to put in and it is down to luck whether you get anything good.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.