AuthorTopic: Looking for some feedback- A different kind of Mech  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Killindarlings

• View Profile

Looking for some feedback- A different kind of Mech

on: September 27, 2016, 12:10:38 am
So I'm a huge fan of Mecha stuff (giant fighting robots piloted by people) and I've decided I want to start an entire series of these. Here's one I've just finished up-

Some desert type mechs. "Brawler" "Boiler" and "Skimmer"

I'm trying to create robots that don't fit the typical form. I think a lot of mechs borrow from the same designs over and over again, I wanted to create something that felt a little different. Not sure if I achieved that, but I'm happy with what I got.

If anyone has any critiques or advice moving forward I'd love to hear your ideas   :y:   

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Looking for some feedback- A different kind of Mech

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 09:32:29 am
they look cute.
I wouldn't think of them as mecha, rather in a cuddly, funny way.
You use a ot of round forms and to few sharp angles to make them appear threatening, like most mechas should be.

Designwise maybe not what you wanted, but still totally adorable.

I'd say you take them a step further, by making sure that your forms appear solid and you take light for your shading in consideration.

The forum also has a zoom-function
leftclick on an image zooms in
ctrl+leftclick zooms out.
Pixel-perfectly.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:53:57 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Killindarlings

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 12:00:14 pm
Wow, that's an amazing edit! You're right about the lighting, the contrast is so much better. And compared to yours mine do look a little silly... but those sharp angles are exactly what I was trying to avoid. Maybe it is unavoidable though? I can't seem to find any example of a mech that doesn't at least have some angle to it. I think the best option would be a blend of both rigid and fluid shapes.

This is what immediately came to mind. Evangelions mechs always seemed so unique to me- these lanky humanoid creatures that didn't move like typical mechs at all. But even these still hold those traditional shapes that scream giant fighting robot.

Okay, I think I know where I've got to go from here. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, this was all very helpful advice!   

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:42:36 pm
Sharp angles always introduce an imposing feeling.
Most likely the best kind of stuff to observe this might be "Propaganda Architecture"
Check out North Korean and Nazi-Germany buildings, how they use their size, their few details and sharp angles to really make you feel small.
Mecha-Design works from it's shape language usually on a very similar level.

Evangelion adds imho a feeling of uncannyness to it. You have huge, nearly human shaped mechas, who wear a mask.
Masks are always unsettling in a way and the distorted proportions underline this feeling. On top of that you have design elements which let the whole design look even bigger and in terms of the shilouette a lot more "simplified" and "angular" than an organic lifeform.
It's super-smart and psychological high-levelled design.

One Mecha I could think of which doesn't follow this principle of sharp angles though, would be the one of Sucker-Punch
although ... it's Sucker Punch, which should be enough of an explanation.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Killindarlings

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 04:34:42 pm
It's funny you mention Nazi-Germany, there are a lot of Mechs that incorporate elements from WW1 and WW2 tanks into their design (Games like Wolfenstien and Iron Brigade, or one of my favorites, the Acid Rain series). I never considered looking at architecture, the buildings in North Korea are so fitting... I can see what you mean by the importance of angles in intimidation.

And "uncanny" is the perfect word to describe Evangelion. If I could design something half as brilliant, I'd be happy.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 11:10:21 pm
Many of the mechs from Metal Slug also use more curves than angles, at least to my recollection. Metal slug is generally a good base to work your designs from though, haha
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Killindarlings

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 11:57:46 am
Yes! How could I forget those amazing little tanks-

Those and the ones from Advance Wars were my favorite. Thank you for pointing them out  :y: I'll have to revisit both series again, they're a bottomless well of unconventional design.