AuthorTopic: [C+C] Mushroom  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

[C+C] Mushroom

on: September 25, 2016, 07:17:48 pm
I've been working on/off on a mushroom-based image for a while, but I'm trying to nail down the feel I want for the image overall.

Ultimately, I'm planning on turning it into a sort of mushroom village, but before adding on anything "house"-like, I wanted to try to focus on the mushroom itself. It's kind of woody, without gills like real mushrooms - I'm not sure if this is working, or if it's something I should revamp.

Please give me ideas as to what can be improved here!

Here was a previous iteration, as well, which has a very different idea behind it...

MOST RECENT:

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:37:33 am by Zia »
Eriophora Zia

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: [C+C] Mushroom

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 02:20:28 am
The lighting can be used to better show the volume of the cap.
Right now how your light is hitting the top makes it feel flat.
This may be from an inconsistency with the lighting at the stem.

Also, the material of the stem seems "crusty" or rocky. Most mushrooms I am aware of are spongy, squishy, spunky.

You've got a great opportunity to use the purple-green-orange color triad for this piece, with the green of the grass blades, purple of the cap. Just a thought.

:y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Mushroom

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 02:41:39 am
@rydin there's actually a lot of crustier-looking mushrooms, like these beauties here:

Given that, I'd say the texturing is fine as it is, perfectly accurate to real life.

That light source is a good spot though, the light really should be hitting more from the right from how it's affecting the bark!
Another thing I just noticed is that the grass seems to be clipping weird over the stem of the mushroom, with the base further back and the tip in front of it with little done to imply depth in that blade of grass. Might help to look at that a bit!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |