AuthorTopic: Stingray perspective help.  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Nirel

• View Profile

Stingray perspective help.

on: September 24, 2016, 12:06:52 pm
Hi everyone.

I've been working on this game for a while and I'm not sure if the rock walls match the perspective

I'd like to know if you have an idea on what to add/change to make it better, or if I should scrap the walls
and imagine the sides in a different way.

any general critic is also very appreciated.

Offline Vertigo

• View Profile

Re: Stingray perspective help.

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 08:11:47 pm
I'm not sure if the tilt of creatures will be noticeable in game...
If perspective will be only left and right, then you shouldn't care about walls, which are rather up/down perspective. But you can make this walls a bit lighter to get them from abyss.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:21:23 pm
I think if the walls "come out" more towards their bottom (think Zelda perspective), I think they'll read better. Think of the stingrays as your vanishing point, and design the wall tiles so that they appear to "point" towards the stringrays most of the time. Obviously with tiles and moving on the screen they won't always be doing that, but that's a good place to start. The walls just pointing towards the bottom of the screen does feel a bit weird with the perspective on the characters.

I think the tilt on them will be noticeable if it's part of an animation reacting to the player's movement. It's barely noticeable when displayed side-by-side like that, but these things tend to stand out more when being swapped out on the same character.

Offline Nirel

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 08:02:37 am
Thanks for your replies!
I forgot to mention the game is a shmup. I think what made it feel so weird to me was that the rocks look like floating plates and it doesn't make sense. I'm going to try 2 different things, adding variation at the bottom and flaring the walls from all sides and see what works best.