AuthorTopic: I need tips/information on starting a project  (Read 2468 times)

Offline danmanr98

• DanieruArt
    • http://desudanieru.tumblr.com/
    • View Profile

I need tips/information on starting a project

on: September 23, 2016, 11:11:01 pm
Hey, So much like other people on these forums, I have a game idea.
I want to ask a few questions that I have on my mind:

-When in the process of finding programmers (Or any other team-member for that matter), how do I convey the idea I have without giving to much information? (Or better yet, how do NDAs apply here?)
-Is there a Process to creating Non-Disclosure agreements? Or can an individual just write one up and so long as the other person signs the agreement, it's approved?

Minor questions:

-Tips on increasing the popularity of a product? (Sites I can share the development on?)
-Good places to find programmers?  (I feel this forum is more Artus-oriented)

Thanks in advance!

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: I need tips/information on starting a project

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 05:22:55 am
Github might be a good place to hunt down programmers, but google is likely your best bet.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Tezca

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 06:49:12 pm
-When in the process of finding programmers (Or any other team-member for that matter), how do I convey the idea I have without giving to much information? (Or better yet, how do NDAs apply here?)

You hear this concern often among hobbyists and professionals, and its almost never a real issue. Everyone has game ideas. Anyone that tries to steal your idea does not necessarily have the time, skills, resources or dedication to make something out of it. You should be comfortable discussing the basic design, mechanics or story of your game with others. In fact, many people make the mistake of keeping their idea so tightly protected that it never gets the exposure it needs to be successful in the market.

-Is there a Process to creating Non-Disclosure agreements? Or can an individual just write one up and so long as the other person signs the agreement, it's approved?
If you're serious about developing games, you should hire a lawyer to handle this kind of thing. If you can't afford one, like most indie startups, you can take the risky route and try to find templates on LegalZoom or other similar websites. A better option would be to ask members of the game community that are already familiar with using NDA documents.

-Tips on increasing the popularity of a product? (Sites I can share the development on?)
-Good places to find programmers?  (I feel this forum is more Artus-oriented)
Discussing your game on these forums is a good start! Do whatever you can to increase the visibility of your product by putting it in front of people. Focus on targeting forums or discussion boards that discuss games similar to the one you are making.

As far as programmers go, every game development or game engine website usually has a collaboration forum for this reason. I don't know what game development tools you wish to use, but I'd be surprised if whatever you're using doesn't already have said collaboration forums on the tool's website.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 06:51:00 pm by Tezca »

Offline danmanr98

• DanieruArt
    • http://desudanieru.tumblr.com/
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:00:21 pm
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful :DD