AuthorTopic: [C+C] Plague Spirit  (Read 1845 times)

Offline cheatsguy

• View Profile

[C+C] Plague Spirit

on: September 23, 2016, 05:02:22 pm
Hey, long time no see  :D

I've been working on a game for the past month+ and I've sort of settled on a gothic theme with a bit of dark fantasy stuff. I'm planning on using pixel art for concepts and then translating to vector for the actual game sprites. Here's the first one:

the general idea is that this is an evil spirit wearing clothes of a plague doctor, likely after killing their owner. I'm definitely rusty, so please feel free to tear this one right up, I can handle it  ;D

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: [C+C] Plague Spirit

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 05:51:15 pm
Your black outlines: bad. They aren't doing any justice to establishing the shape of this guy. It's only adding useless information to your already cramped pixel zone, you know what I mean?

Your black color range isn't helping either. The colors are ramping too gradually and too subtly.  You have 5 different black hues but zoomed out I only really see 3. You can get more out of each precious color by hue shifting and having more contrast between each color. I mean, I'm simplifying this a bit. I understand you need to try to capture the texture of the fabric, but you've got to try to balance that with limited pixel resources.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline cheatsguy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 05:59:06 pm
would you suggest removing the outlines altogether? As for the greys, I'll work on differentiating my colors some more, then.

Edit: after a couple revisions:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:43:44 pm by cheatsguy »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 05:25:54 pm
You are stepping the right direction.

How does cloth drape and hang on what it conceals?
What is going on under the fabric? This will determine where the fabric goes, where it is loose, where it is being stretched tight. Maybe there are tears in the fabric. How does an evil spirit come to gain possession of a uniform that does not belong to him? Your answers to these questions will help instruct and guide where to place the pixels.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.