AuthorTopic: Newb artist - Making a forest  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Topsy

• View Profile

Newb artist - Making a forest

on: September 19, 2016, 12:52:43 am
I'm not an artist, so naturally I'm struggling with stuff. What I don't get is styling, like should the trees just be shaded or textured, and what kinda texture fits well? Same with the background, how much detail should there be, all that stuff drives me nuts. Then there's color theory, more of a nightmare but I'm sorta getting it. This here is for a game,  not a single piece. One-click for actual size.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:59:25 am by Topsy »

Offline Ryscale

• View Profile

Re: Newb artist - Making a forest

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 01:42:47 am
Looks great, try adding a lighter shade of the colour where the light will be coming from and adding a darker colour on the other side. Best way to learned is to experiment with colours :)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 03:15:04 am
As a general rule, foreground should be more detailed and background should be less. Things that are further away have less definition in our eyesight and things closer up have more. If they're RIGHT UP ON US they might blur out of focus a little, but I'm not sure if you want to go that far.
The bright yellow of the background isn't really working though I think, I'd fade that out some into more of a parchment color so it has a more storybook feel to it.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Topsy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 03:37:34 am
Thanks for the feeds guys :) working on the edit