AuthorTopic: [WIP]Campfire, Tent, and guy  (Read 7210 times)

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Re: [WIP]Campfire, Tent, and guy

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 01:10:15 am
I'm sure someone here can help me with some tree and shrub feedback!

Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline ovle

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 07:09:12 am
hi there, very nice job.
i'm a noob (and not actually an artist), but may be you'll find some of this useful:

it seems that you are using 3 different kinds of perspective for the tent, for the fireplace and for human/zombies.

there's no ground shadows, including shadows from the fireplace lighting. check this for example:
http://www.heart-machine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/HLD_Screenshot_01_camp_1080.png

maybe you can use less straight vertical lines at some parts of human's sprite (doesn't looks very good, imho)

i'm not sure trees/bushes like this(detailed and contrast) are conforms to the ground/grass like this(which is just filled with color. is it just mockup?). trees are textured, but still flat to me.

lightning on zombies bodies doesn't make sense to me.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 02:43:44 pm
hi there, very nice job.
i'm a noob (and not actually an artist), but may be you'll find some of this useful:

it seems that you are using 3 different kinds of perspective for the tent, for the fireplace and for human/zombies.

there's no ground shadows, including shadows from the fireplace lighting. check this for example:
http://www.heart-machine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/HLD_Screenshot_01_camp_1080.png

maybe you can use less straight vertical lines at some parts of human's sprite (doesn't looks very good, imho)

i'm not sure trees/bushes like this(detailed and contrast) are conforms to the ground/grass like this(which is just filled with color. is it just mockup?). trees are textured, but still flat to me.

lightning on zombies bodies doesn't make sense to me.

hi ovle, thanks for your comment!

Everything still is a work in progress, posting to try and get feedback as I go.  The grass is just a placeholder as I'm not even sure whether the campsite will be on dirt or grass.

I guess those 3 could be described as three different perspectives: tent-oblique; person-flat style; campfire-realistic.  Or maybe you mean it looks like the POV is from three different heights.

Thanks for the link to the image.  I do have small light on grass coming from campfire but I see what you mean by the rings.  Like I said, the grass was just a placeholder but this made me realize maybe I do need some more distance on the light from the campfire.

Some of your other comments point out general problems but not solutions or even the specific cause of the problem:
"lightning on zombies bodies doesn't make sense to me"
"trees are textured, but still flat to me"
Maybe you could say which body part looks off or the light source you perceive vs light source you think it should be.
I'm a beginner in a lot of areas so I know a lot of stuff is off or inaccurate.  So just generally stating the tree looks flat, for example, doesn't give me any direction on what to try.  But I still am happy that you commented.  Thanks!

Here is where I'm at currently, still a lot of this is WIP but feedback welcome:

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 04:30:27 pm
Trying to figure out some darker color schemes to give it more of a night feel, mockup1:

Offline lpflicke

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 07:09:05 pm
I think that looks quite good but the background from black to desaturated purple could do with some bushes,grass,logs or any kind of decoration to make it look less obvious.

Same for the trees placed on the black. If you want the tone to be more claustrophobic/tense with the zombies closing in you can try selling the background more as a forest and add maybe add a bit of fog so you dont have to copy paste a bunch of trees.

The other approach is to make it more dead and steriotypically zombie-ish and keep just a few trees but that would make it harder to soften the black to purple transition.

As for the light coming from the campfire maybe make it so if the zombies are facing it then the highlights are more exxagerated and a seperate sprite for if not facing where there are highlights on the otherside?. Problem is I have no experience with shaders or anything so I cant offer much help past suggestions but right now the zombies and the player stand out on the dark though so try to fix that somehow.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 04:04:33 pm
I think that looks quite good but the background from black to desaturated purple could do with some bushes,grass,logs or any kind of decoration to make it look less obvious.

Same for the trees placed on the black. If you want the tone to be more claustrophobic/tense with the zombies closing in you can try selling the background more as a forest and add maybe add a bit of fog so you dont have to copy paste a bunch of trees.

The other approach is to make it more dead and steriotypically zombie-ish and keep just a few trees but that would make it harder to soften the black to purple transition.

As for the light coming from the campfire maybe make it so if the zombies are facing it then the highlights are more exxagerated and a seperate sprite for if not facing where there are highlights on the otherside?. Problem is I have no experience with shaders or anything so I cant offer much help past suggestions but right now the zombies and the player stand out on the dark though so try to fix that somehow.

Thanks for the comment.  That was just a mock-up to test the colors, here is what I have so far and I think a lot of your tips are taken care of here:

Offline lpflicke

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 08:46:45 pm
Definitely looks better.The largest problem to me now is the weird pixel scaling happening in a grid which I think is the game engine's fault but I'd try to fix that.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 09:44:03 pm
Definitely looks better.The largest problem to me now is the weird pixel scaling happening in a grid which I think is the game engine's fault but I'd try to fix that.

Thanks! Are you talking about the foreground trees? Because I just stretched the Sprite for now—will have to edit if I want to keep them there.

Offline lpflicke

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 10:03:14 pm
No that's fine.Im talking about a different thing where there's a grid on which all the pixels are squished thin/short but you'll see it better zoomed in and if its things are moving.
eg.On the back of the players head there's a column of pixels thinner than normal.

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 10:39:33 pm
No that's fine.Im talking about a different thing where there's a grid on which all the pixels are squished thin/short but you'll see it better zoomed in and if its things are moving.
eg.On the back of the players head there's a column of pixels thinner than normal.

Ah! I see that now!

I'll have to re-check some settings and such, thanks!