AuthorTopic: PXL8 - pixel art editor  (Read 4721 times)

Offline schmar

• View Profile

PXL8 - pixel art editor

on: September 16, 2016, 10:58:16 am
Hello everybody!

I've been working on this pixel art editor for almost a year now, and it's starting to feel good enoughto bring it out into the open! So here it is! The open beta isn't entirely free, but the trial is generous. No locked down features or anything, just a 30 minute countdown, after which you have to save\quit and restart.

PXL8 is designed with "real" 8bit images and low resolutions in mind, so i hope you guys will like it. Some fundamental parts of it is quite different from other painting programs, so i suggest watching the instruction video on the website and giving yourself some time to adjust to it before giving up. It becomes very fast and flexible when you get used to it, allowing you to place more pixels per minute than with any other software.

Being beta, there's probably some bugs, and there's still things left to improve, but i think it's getting pretty solid and worth trying out now. I hope to get lots of good feedback so i can make this even better :)

get it from www.pxl8.it. There's a demo video there as well.

Offline DanXS

• View Profile

Re: PXL8 - pixel art editor

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 04:31:31 am
Looks really good, I'll have to give it a go.

Actually I've just built a pixel art app as well but don't worry it's for iPhone/iPad - more like a months work than a years work in your case - so it's not competition. It should be live on App Store within a week or so. It's called Pixel Art Pro, check it out if you have an iPhone/iPad

Cheers, Dan

Offline schmar

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 06:55:31 am
Cool, i found it on the appstore just now. There was a lot of similarly titled apps that came up first though, you're Dan Shepherd, right? I might check it out though :)

Just updated pxl8 to 0.7, mostly minor stuff and bugfixes. Going to make some improvements to the color\palette editing workflow next.

Offline DanXS

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 02:05:02 pm
Yep, that's me, funny how we are the only two people talking about our applications - one would hope others might want to use them given that this is a pixel art forum.  Never mind, perhaps they have had a look but just didn't want to comment?

I suppose that is the thing about developers, more into making stuff than marketing it!  As long as we are enjoying making things that's the main thing I guess.

Cheers!

Offline schmar

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 12:40:16 pm
Just uploaded v.0.8, with a new palette editor and a bunch of bugfixes and other minor features. Get it and check the full changelog at www.pxl8.it

Has anyone tested this yet? What did you think?

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 04:25:39 pm
nice, going to give this a spin.

gradient effects would be sweet
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!