AuthorTopic: [C+C, WIP] Tileset, need your opinion and input  (Read 11290 times)

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Re: [C+C, WIP] Tileset, need your opinion and input

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 05:31:45 pm

I think it needs to be more spiky/asymmetric for it to look natural. This last edit looks too symmetrical/mirrored imo.

you mean grass itself or do you refear to the transition from grass to dirt? :D

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 07:05:40 pm
I prefer the cooler dirt colour myself, but I think it depends a lot on the feel you're going for. Colours are pretty easy to adjust later though, when you have more assets and can judge the colours in context.

I think removing the huge clumps of grass works! However, there is still noticeable repetition just because you're using identical grass clumps on different tiles, an issue I pointed out in my last post. You could probably "get away" with having some larger clumps on your tiles, as long as those clumps are only found on one tile each.
When making things like transition tiles, I recommend starting with solid colours instead of chunks of the other tiles, so that you're not tempted to use existing details and have to make new ones. It's not that hard to make the it all tile with each other with this level of detail.

Offline Kairos

• xlion95
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 07:36:38 pm
I think it needs to be more spiky/asymmetric for it to look natural. This last edit looks too symmetrical/mirrored imo.

you mean grass itself or do you refear to the transition from grass to dirt? :D

The transitions :] The grass texture itself looks neat.

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 09:10:04 pm
So guys, I have experimented a little bit more, took the recomendations about irregular transitions here is where I stand now
broke the links: here are replacements

I think on making some irregularities on upper borders and I went back to old dirt color - the colder one...

Also I have experimented a bit with flowers, what do you think? too desaturated? any ideas?

In addition regarding flowers, I took grass colors and just puled R- color slider towards red (Kept same saturation and value - I use gimp (I get to choose hue, value, saturation R, G, B).. Is that an ok thing to do considering color ramps? I have tried making my own color ramps but they still look like vomit :(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:30:40 pm by SlimEddie »

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 09:35:34 pm
Did even more ripple, maybe too much? to obvious? Ideas?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:46:10 pm by SlimEddie »

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 09:50:40 pm
Threw together some random tiles for a test

as far as I can see, I need a few better diagonal tiles huh? (corners, both outer and inner)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:49:01 pm by SlimEddie »

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 11:00:40 pm
Yeah, it still doesn't feel very organic. Any time I need some tiles, I always look to Warcraft II for inspiration. The sheet there's not organized in a way that immediately makes sense, but try a quick mockup with them and you'll see how it works.

Beyond that, I'm not a huge fan of the dirt. Next to the grass, which is full of texture, the dirt just feels very bland. Try giving it a little texture--doesn't have to be a lot, just something subtle to help it get along with the grass. Also, I've found stones and such (see: the Warcraft tiles) help a lot. I think you were on the right track with the flowers, though I think that orange was a little too blaring. Try a yellow or a pink, maybe?
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 01:05:27 pm
I think once you also change the remaining transitions it'll look better. Right now most of your tiles still have a very straight transition. You're also under-utilizing your corners - arrange your tiles in more exotic, staggered shapes instead of rectangles and straight lines, which require more use of your corner tiles. Corner tiles are very important to being able to build interesting shapes, and you haven't given them better shapes yet.

Try making some mock-ups with just solid colours (green and brown) to play with the shapes, do you don't spend time pixelling detail in a tile that might not work well.

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 02:05:51 pm
So I tried making some dirt but I am hopeless on this one.. Just made one dirt tile and slaped it in the upper right just to see.. And I have deleted so many dirt tiles.. can some one put me on the right track?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:52:34 pm by SlimEddie »

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 02:23:57 pm
I liked the flat look before. More detailed dirt than that is quite difficult xP Think about the type of dirt you're going for, look at ref, and then simplify from there. If you go into it without a clear idea of what you're depicting, you'll likely end up wasting a lot of time pixelling tiles that don't look like anything.