AuthorTopic: [C+C, WIP] Tileset, need your opinion and input  (Read 11473 times)

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

[C+C, WIP] Tileset, need your opinion and input

on: September 11, 2016, 11:41:45 am
Heu guys so I was drawing this tileset for my game, and I am not sure how to approach the spots where grass collides with dirt? any ideas? any critique?

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Re: [C+C, WIP] Tileset, need your opinion and input

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 11:53:05 am
Do you want a transition tile or are you trying to avoid it?

EDIT: Dumb question, you have transition tiles. Keep your brights from interacting directly with the soil and have either a clear grass edge where you can see how the grass goes into the ground or bring some of the dirt tones into the grass tiles further between the grass blades. Have the grass thin towards the soil.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 11:58:11 am by heyy13 »

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 12:06:11 pm
Do you want a transition tile or are you trying to avoid it?

EDIT: Dumb question, you have transition tiles. Keep your brights from interacting directly with the soil and have either a clear grass edge where you can see how the grass goes into the ground or bring some of the dirt tones into the grass tiles further between the grass blades. Have the grass thin towards the soil.

That makes sense, gonna try that

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 12:41:10 pm
Edit:

Seems better? huh? kinda?

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 01:41:15 pm
Much improved. If you don't mind me asking how many tiles are you using here? You have a lot of identifying factors in your tiles which make the tiling more obvious. Have you considered making a single very generic tile that tiles perfectly and then a few feature tiles to use to change the look up? Though i guess that depends on how large your areas of grass will be or if you care about people being able to identify repeating elements.

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 02:25:34 pm
Those are 32x32 tiles, so it is like six tiles in the center then three on top and bot, four corners and two on each side :D I also want to get rid of those obvious four leafed grass patches, working on it atm :D what should add more? Like some roks shrooms?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 07:41:44 pm
Small flowers, big rocks, assorted debris... Depends entirely on environment. Like, if this is a grassy area outside a factory there'd be rusty metal bits and old springs. If a grassy patch in a forest there'd be tufts of tall grass/flowers/mushrooms, twigs, and the occasional root.
More urban areas, things like cans and crisp wrappers.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 07:49:53 pm
If you're going for more naturalistic transitions instead of a blocky, clearly-tiled look, you shouldn't use such straight transitions. Have bits going in and out, and don't be afraid to let things go all the way to the opposite edge sometimes. If you just have a straight line boundary in your transition tiles, that's only slightly better than not using transition tiles at all.

Also, try not to repeat parts of the other tiles in your transition tiles, as that only undoes the purpose of using multiple tiles. Take the time to make new grass/dirt bits that tile with the others. It's not that much more work, but it looks way better than repeating elements.

Here is a pixel-over where I only changed your side transition tiles, to give you an idea of what you can do:

It's two tiles total (plus horizontally flipped versions), same as yours.

If you're clever about the exact shapes and transitions between the tiles, you could even avoid having dedicated corner tiles and instead have "side" tiles that can be used for corners too. Making multipurpose tiles like that can make it easier to make varied, natural-looking maps with the same number of tiles, or even fewer tiles. Here is a somewhat extreme example using 16 8x8 tiles (zoomed in and with a grid on the example usage), where almost every transition tile can be used as a corner or side, and a few can even be used for both horizontal and vertical transitions or as "islands". With 32x32 and with transitions between more distinctly coloured terrains it'll be much harder to achieve that degree of flexibility, but you can still make something much more flexible than what you have now.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:56:03 pm by eishiya »

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 02:56:11 pm
So I have not tried adding ripples to the gras yet (on the borders where it colides with grass) as eishiya sugested, but I will do so once I figure out some other stuff. So here is where I stand now:
I have removed big flocks of grass to make it look a bit less like a pattern...
Also I swaped dirt colors - not sure about those, would love some critique on them :)

Offline Kairos

• xlion95
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 03:46:34 pm
I think it needs to be more spiky/asymmetric for it to look natural. This last edit looks too symmetrical/mirrored imo.