AuthorTopic: [C+C] A familiar warrior guy  (Read 1924 times)

Offline sharethepudding

• sharethepudding
    • sharethepudding
    • sharethepudding
    • View Profile
    • sharethepuddingdesign

[C+C] A familiar warrior guy

on: September 13, 2016, 11:31:33 pm
I felt like making a cool adventure type guy.

I had a lot of trouble making him not look flat. Any tips for making him look a bit more dynamic?

Offline Bollie

• Learning the ropes of pixel art!
    • @ollieberzs
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] A familiar warrior guy

Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 05:07:43 am
I would advice you to do a bit more shading, so the character doesn't look flat. I did some edits and added some shading:

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 06:33:48 am

And here's an edit I did in addition to bollie's, I kept colors the same but tweaked the shading and some of the shapes to give him a more visible pose and a bit of depth.
Notably, I made the shading on that spiky anime hair a bit more uneven, to imply additional spikes facing the camera and better define the shapes on the right.
I also tweaked the shield to be at a more natural angle, most of the time shields are held at a slight angle unless they're held up Spartan-style right in front of the face (at least from what I've seen in movies), so I made it pitch at an angle. This made him look like he was taking a step forward/back, so I also changed his legs to give him a more guarded, sideways stance.
Fun fact: I actually took a bit of martial arts, and one of the basic things I remember from that long-ago time was that they do that sideways stance to reduce how much of you is available to the assailant to hit!
So, the more sideways a person is to the camera, the more a trained they'll look.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline sharethepudding

• sharethepudding
    • sharethepudding
    • sharethepudding
    • View Profile
    • sharethepuddingdesign

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 05:06:49 pm
Thanks so much for the replies, I've taken the suggestions and tried to implement them as best I can.

@MysteryMeat I completely missed the idea of angling the shield a little, believe it or, not it was a big "OH DUH" moment. Simple things like that are the easiest to miss.