AuthorTopic: The Sentinel  (Read 7151 times)

Offline Eshaktaar

• View Profile

The Sentinel

on: October 06, 2006, 11:47:36 am
After gawking at all the wonderful stuff people here are creating with a handful of colored dots, I had to try pixeling something myself. Here's the result of one evening:

22 colors. Drawn "from life" - the robot's standing on my bookshelf. Any C&C appreciated.

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Re: The Sentinel

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 11:50:25 am
Nothing to crit here from my side. Just wanted to say that I love how it doesn't really look pixeled at first glance, excellent :)
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 12:03:37 pm
Lovable. You show a solid understanding of pixel arty tech, the subject matter is adorable. Minor AA issues where the front panel meets the body and so on, nothing very important. Congrats. Stay around. Stay FOREVER.

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 04:28:45 pm
That is honestly gorgeus, prettyimpresive use of color as well, how many did you use in total?

[Edit] I am an idiot x.x 22 eh? Darn seemed like less =( Still pretty impresive work!
She's not guarding right now, she's just holding a thing to pass along to her husband warrior and then go do the dishes and change the diapers on the snake-babies.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 05:15:56 pm
Really nice I have to say, and you also seem to use a proper pixelprogram, from what I can tell from the nicely ordered palette indexes. Keep at it. Looking forward to seeing more. :)

Schweizer?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Eshaktaar

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 06:25:25 pm
Thanks for you comments, all.

Really nice I have to say, and you also seem to use a proper pixelprogram, from what I can tell from the nicely ordered palette indexes.
Since I saw it mentioned several times, I downloaded the trial version of Pro Motion 5.1. Still trying to get the hang of it, but I like it so far.

Schweizer?
Richtig!

Offline LMM

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 07:59:19 pm
Ui, und wie es ausschaut auch noch aus der deutschsprachigen schweiz^^

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 09:04:22 pm
Wenn wir schon dabei sind, Grüße aus Wien :). robotriot ist übrigens auch Deutscher.

Once again, really nice. If I was made to look for major flaws really hard, I'd say that there is something about the cliffs that bothers me a bit, which imo don't mesh with the rest that well. They are less smooth, and also seem to share a different range of values than the rest of the picture, not beneficial to the overall consistency of the lighting (or perhaps its colors just don't work as well as the ones in the rest of the picture. I'm not sure if I'm fond of the green to purple). And maybe they're a bit too evenly lit as well? I don't know.
You could try spicing up the sky with a nice little gradient, becoming slightly brighter towards the horizon (just slightly if you intend to keep the cliffs as they are. At least one shade brighter though, than that hardly visible flame-esque aura surrounding robo. If you'd make the cliffs really dark, more silhouette-like, you could go quite a bit brighter.. if you feel like trying out stuff). You already have the colors for that in your palette.

Offline Eshaktaar

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 09:43:38 pm
Interesting points, miascugh. Thanks!
I changed the cliffs' colors to purple/green when I got the impression the robo's red feet blended too much into them:

Making the cliffs darker with only the outlines showing sounds like a good idea, I'll try that.

Offline Niss

• View Profile
    • darkno.de

Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 11:41:27 pm
hey there! Wonderful piece. With the colors you got going now you could brighten up the bg more.
To get more definition on the robot. In fact that's the only problem I see: The right side is bit hard to make out. I personally liked the greenish thing better.

Oh und Grüße aus Hamburg :)