AuthorTopic: wip house  (Read 2715 times)

Offline jkilla

• 'the owl watches intently!'
    • View Profile
    • day of madness game!

wip house

on: October 06, 2006, 11:36:13 pm
here is a house with a gate and a car i was working on looking for critique and things i need to fix before i finish it :lol:
and yes the door got srewd up colors in it ill fix that asap
edit if ixed it up alittle but the grass looks weird
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 07:24:03 pm by jkilla »
!!!my sweet game DAY OF MADNESS!!! PLAY IT NOW!

Offline snake

• View Profile

Re: wip house

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 01:21:59 pm
Starting with a pixel piece this big is probably not the best idea if you want to improve at general pixeling. But you're free to do what you want of course. On with the crit:

First of all, please get a new palette. This looks very much like the standard MS paint palette and drags the whole thing down. Just about all the colours here are primary colours with higher or lower brightness. Shadows are usually more blue or gray when light areas are hit by the sun.

There is also a problem with your perspective as it stands now. I assume the road in front of the house is supposed to be on flat ground? Judging from the angle of the house and the gray wall, it's going downhill towards the left (our left). The car on the other hand breaks this as the road that is stands on connects directly to it without any signs of bending. The car also is out of perspective. On that note, the side of the car does not seem tall enough and makes the wheels and underbelly allmost sink into the chassis. I would suggest you make a perspective grid and redraw the lines.

Personally, I find that the road and grass is too extreme. Maybe if you lower the contrast it would help, but the way you've done the rest of the piece makes the small road clash with it. Also noticed that you're only using black outlines and white when it's a light edge. I would suggest you rather try to shade the objects with light and dark shades (like you did with the roof) first. Then, you can better judge what needs highlights. At the moment, the roof for example, has white around just about all the edges even though some of them would most likely be covered by shadows.

A picture of this size would be a massive undertaking even for veteran pixel artists, so I would really advise you to try something smaller. Maybe a miniature version of this even.

Hope something was of use. Keep on trying an this could be great.  :y:

Offline jkilla

• 'the owl watches intently!'
    • View Profile
    • day of madness game!

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 04:18:00 am
thanx for the comment but cmon man i know the outlines on some things are black because its a wip! work-in-progress i havnt even go to the textures of the road and so forth all i have really worked on was the house car and the gate.  :ouch:
!!!my sweet game DAY OF MADNESS!!! PLAY IT NOW!

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 07:18:07 am
It looks like a lod of line tools, so nothing seems truely in perspective with everything else.  :-X