AuthorTopic: lemon icon  (Read 10900 times)

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Re: lemon icon

Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 07:24:47 pm
I'm running 1027x7## and i can definately see the two shades in the lemon, my contrast is at max, which is how i like it.... thought it does make grays look terrible to me.

Helms edit on the lemon is perfect, aside from the darkening (causing it to look like an elongated orange), however, the leaf looks more like a rock now and is rather gritty.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 08:59:50 pm
there is no 'how you like it' when it comes to monitor calibration. If you want to do art/view art on your monitor, calibrate it neutrally using some online tester. Contrast to max is insane.

I do not see what Kon is saying, possibly because my eyes are like that? Or because I have a properly calibrated monitor? In 1x, mine is a bit harsher and darker, but generally intact. The volumetrics are faked with the dithering. The edit was exaggerated anyway, to show how dithering works at such a res I don't see the point of people coming and posting on this thread about how my edit is 'not as good'. I wasn't trying to upstage lief. I explained from my first post that optimization for 1x zoom for pixel artists is of arguable use to the pixel artist. On irc again, lief said that he intended this to be seen at 1024, and therefore I was explaining how you must make pixel art with what res you have in mind at all times. He understood (discussed it over irc). This isn't me trying to make a better icon. It's me showing how at that res detail and colours and clarity take on a different pecking order.

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 10:28:57 pm
No matter what I do the difference is huge, maybe I'm not doing it right. So I'll crit lief's.
I really like the leaves on it, really great texturing on the whole thing. can't say anything bad until I fix my moniter.
I.....am......me............

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 03:31:53 am
there is no 'how you like it' when it comes to monitor calibration. If you want to do art/view art on your monitor, calibrate it neutrally using some online tester. Contrast to max is insane.

I do not see what Kon is saying, possibly because my eyes are like that? Or because I have a properly calibrated monitor? In 1x, mine is a bit harsher and darker, but generally intact. The volumetrics are faked with the dithering. The edit was exaggerated anyway, to show how dithering works at such a res I don't see the point of people coming and posting on this thread about how my edit is 'not as good'. I wasn't trying to upstage lief. I explained from my first post that optimization for 1x zoom for pixel artists is of arguable use to the pixel artist. On irc again, lief said that he intended this to be seen at 1024, and therefore I was explaining how you must make pixel art with what res you have in mind at all times. He understood (discussed it over irc). This isn't me trying to make a better icon. It's me showing how at that res detail and colours and clarity take on a different pecking order.

It wasn't my intention to say you were trying to upstage him.
However, I felt it necessary to voice my opinion as I see lief's lemon as being better off without the extreme colour optimization that you presented.
When making pixel art I think it's valuable to have others' opinions on any critique given.

If I made an edit of someone's lemon icon and applied copious amounts of pillow shading I'd expect someone to say my edit wasn't an improvent so as not to mislead the person I was critiquing and also to inform me of my error.

That said, I'm not saying colour reduction has no merit, nor am I saying you don't know what you're on about. I'm just saying that the edit you made is noticeably different at 1x on higher resolutions (my monitor may not be exactly calibrated, but it's roughly where it's meant to be at as I did have a quick look at one of those calibration charts. Definitely no maxed contrast or brightness.)

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 06:58:57 am
the Truth

anyways, yesternight i humored you and fiddled with my monitor to "negotiate the lemon in many angles"
I could still easily see the darkening effect of limiting the actual colors.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 02:02:57 pm
Like Zolth I tried many setting on my monitor to see it, yet even at min, max, default and many other contrast levels and I could still easily see the limited colors.  You would really benefit from adding a lighter color then having that dither to white.
Proud to be a BMS team: