AuthorTopic: Siphonia Graphics(WIP/Completed)  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Dark Rogue

• View Profile

Siphonia Graphics(WIP/Completed)

on: October 02, 2006, 03:05:51 pm
This'll have graphics from a platformer Droftrah and I are working on. All feedback would be gladly taken.

Completed :

Astro Shoot :

Version 2 :

Astro Walk - 4 Frames :

WIP :

(None currently)

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Re: Siphonia Graphics(WIP/Completed)

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 07:42:32 pm
It's alright, but they just don't seem alive, the shading is inconsistant, and even for style the arms and legs are too wonky.

Offline Dark Rogue

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 12:17:16 pm
Yeah, you're right. This is my first 'good' character, and my first 'real' walking animation, along with the rest of them. But that shouldn't be an excuse.

I probably won't change it, but just so you know, I understand what you mean.

Offline Ensellitis

• stop stealing my toast, please
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 03:27:20 pm
the walk seems kinda "dull" to me.  you should have a look at this tutorial for the next one you try.  and dont be affraid on the next one to make him a bit more lively, like when firing the gun add another lightsource from the flare, have the body seem a bit more segmented...  movement imo is what makes or breaks a great sprite

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 06:51:47 pm
I really quick, easy way to make this animation more believable is to make 2 seperate middle frames for the walk sequence.  The only reason you'd use a static frame like you have (legs completely straight) is if you were trying to save space by using the same sprite as in the standing animation.  Just have his knees bend in those frames and it will appear that his feet are lifting up and not skating along the ground.  The slight tilt of the gun is a nice touch.

Here's a clumsy example:

You've got a pretty nice palette too, with the reddish and bluish hues mixed in, but you've used them as almost invisible aliasing colours only.  I think you should use those colours more frequently or just drop them entirely, I thought the sprite was grayscale until I edited it.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 11:19:39 pm
How about a slightly squat firing position with a little more explosion to the gun discharge?? A little body/gun recoil jolt wouldn't be so bad either. Really cute design. Nice attention to detail by adding the gun flash reflection on the visor. A little more attention to details like that in  our shading work and I think this thing will be good to go!  ;D