AuthorTopic: Need Help  (Read 2937 times)

Offline yanda02

• View Profile

Need Help

on: August 22, 2016, 09:04:17 am
Please bare in mind that I am new to pixel art

This is my pixel art of a Damaged Knight.
I feel like it's kinda good but I still feel like something is wrong (I have not done the shading and lighting effects YET).
If u have any tips that would help me make it better, please let me know. ;D

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Re: Need Help

Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 01:46:59 pm
Well, welcome to the world of pixel art! There's a few things wrong with this piece that are holding this piece back

1. The sword and shield are too similar in color to the main body that it's kind of hard to read.

2. You need to work on the anatomy. I like the look your trying to go for, but the body is a box, the legs and arms are too thin, and there is no neck whatsoever. (Not trying to be mean or anything so sorry, I suck at anatomy too so I'm just spitting out what others would say to me)

3. I would recommend making all of the objects basic flat colors like you would see in a cartoon that it's easier to work on shading. After that, you can add in all the details for the sword and shield, and the cape.

I'm kind of new to pixel art myself so hopefully someone more skilled than I am can help you out with this. Also, since I'm new, kind of take my words with a grain of salt.

Offline yanda02

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:22:17 pm
Well, welcome to the world of pixel art! There's a few things wrong with this piece that are holding this piece back

1. The sword and shield are too similar in color to the main body that it's kind of hard to read.

2. You need to work on the anatomy. I like the look your trying to go for, but the body is a box, the legs and arms are too thin, and there is no neck whatsoever. (Not trying to be mean or anything so sorry, I suck at anatomy too so I'm just spitting out what others would say to me)

3. I would recommend making all of the objects basic flat colors like you would see in a cartoon that it's easier to work on shading. After that, you can add in all the details for the sword and shield, and the cape.

I'm kind of new to pixel art myself so hopefully someone more skilled than I am can help you out with this. Also, since I'm new, kind of take my words with a grain of salt.

Thank you for the warm welcome and the useful tips, I noticed that the body was a box a few hours after I posted this and colors are a problem to me but I think i rushed this art so i will try and retry drawing this.

Offline yanda02

• View Profile

I tried

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 01:14:57 pm

I tried drawing in another Style, and this is what I got :D :D :D

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 04:52:10 pm
I assume those dark lines are damage marks but it is confusing since the body has no form. Also, the sword looks like it is being held awkwardly—either backhanded or weird angle.

Would like to see it after your shading attempt. Shading gives it form and helps decipher what's what.
Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 02:01:58 am
I assume those dark lines are damage marks but it is confusing since the body has no form. Also, the sword looks like it is being held awkwardly—either backhanded or weird angle.

Would like to see it after your shading attempt. Shading gives it form and helps decipher what's what.

Are you talking about the first one or his new one?

In any case, your new version is actually kind of neat. It looks like some thing for a game. But again, I will say that the anatomy is wrong (but it's way better than what you started with!). There's no real pelvis, and his arms and legs are still to thin. Also, the way his hand goes around the sword gives me the impression that he's putting his whole hand around the hilt, rather than just the fingers. Other than those issues. It looks alright to me. Keep up the good work!

P.S. I would look up works that are similar to yours and learn what makes them good and readable

Offline BadMoodTaylor

• Lou Bagel: Combo Number Five!
    • @LouBagelCombo5
    • LouBagel
    • View Profile
    • Lou Bagel: Combo Number 5

Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 04:27:40 am
First one. Didn't realize the one above was from OP. Not sure what your PS means.
Here to learn pixel art.  Feedback always appreciated.

Offline Capta1n_Henry

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 04:58:00 am
Not sure what your PS means.

Just telling him to look up work in a similar style to his so that he can make changes to his anatomy and stuff

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 06:58:40 am
P.S. I would look up works that are similar to yours and learn what makes them good and readable
I'd recommend hyper light drifter for that. Similar palettes and cartooniness to it.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |