AuthorTopic: C64 abuse [wip]  (Read 11208 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: C64 abuse [wip]

Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 12:12:15 am
That is top stuff. Not sure how to solve the bottom shading though. I guess you could just come up with a darker shade?
You can't really "come up with" a darker shade when using a fixed palette. In this pic, the only color darker than blue is straight black, yo.
Sorry, fool, I ain't got no suggestions on how to resolve your dilemma, but I praise your mad skills. Yo.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 12:18:36 am
Hmm, black was used under the wing, why not there aswel?

This is one of the nicest pieces of pixel art i've seen in a while (and not just because it's a dragon). Outstanding stuff, fool.  :0'

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 12:39:01 am
Thank you, guys. It looks like I won't be able to make it work.
Black is the one that knock me down. I'll try to pick another palette when I get some free time. (dreaming =)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 01:22:40 am
Yeh photoshop for some reason handles greyscale different than promotion. dunno why that is so, the colours should be same luma as said in pepto's article and promotion does that with the original pepto palette and i adjusted this one to have those lumapairs as well.
Converting a color to grey doesn't guarantee luma-correctness; the only thing that can guarantee that is having an appropriate color profile for the source image and an appropriate profile for your monitor.
Otherwise, it's just a semi-dumb weighting  - whether linear, as in the following formula:

#define GIMP_RGB_LUMINANCE_RED    (0.2126)
#define GIMP_RGB_LUMINANCE_GREEN  (0.7152)
#define GIMP_RGB_LUMINANCE_BLUE   (0.0722)

#define GIMP_RGB_LUMINANCE(r,g,b) ((r) * GIMP_RGB_LUMINANCE_RED   + \
                                   (g) * GIMP_RGB_LUMINANCE_GREEN + \
                                   (b) * GIMP_RGB_LUMINANCE_BLUE)

or nonlinear, as in L*a*b colorspace.
Gimp recognizes this, and provides several options for how to convert to greyscale. I would be surprised if photoshop didn't too.

Here are some different algorithyms lined up. For me, gimp's estimate of luminance matches the original colors more closely than the greys shown before.

Particularly, I think it estimates the greens,cyan, and dark pink markedly better.

'L of L*a*b' achieves the best idea of the colors relation to each other (one of L*a*b's strengths) and is probably the most useful for reference purposes.

Fool: I'd suggest just non-dithered black. alternatively, a non-standard dither pattern blue/brown lightening some areas to emphasize the darkness of the blue.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 10:27:02 am

In this case all this is bollocks. Pepto did calculate the colours with measuring tools from a c64 monitor and it does not get any closer than that, and it's fact that the c64 has 7 lumapairs plus black and white. When I converted the peptopalette in Promotion it did a perfect job and came up with lumapairs just like you would have on a real C64, same goes for my brighter palette which I just adjusted for brightess and a bit more saturation (which is possible on most C64 monitors as well as TV), The lumaparis tho wont change their relative ratio. So yeh, in this case the gimp stuff is fudged.

[/derail]

Very awesome looking dragon so far, I have no time for more input atm but will look into it some more later.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 12:16:49 pm
When I converted the peptopalette in Promotion it did a perfect job and came up with lumapairs just like you would have on a real C64
That's alright; if yer calculating via ratios, that explains the difference.
On a PC, for PC only pics such as this one, a metric that relates to PC display hardware is probably more useful.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.