AuthorTopic: Go! Tingle! Go!  (Read 12741 times)

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Go! Tingle! Go!

on: October 05, 2006, 11:48:11 pm
I loveded these characters from The Legend of Zelda series. Awesome character designs, hehe. So I had to pixel them. They're my favourites next to Link and Ezlo after all. It's 23 colours + transparency (added when finished).

I need some overall C&C obviously, and also some advice to if I should add a white outline and if I should keep the sparkles/konfetti. Hope ya'all like!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 05:18:20 pm by Mirre »

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Re: Go! Tingle! Go!

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 11:59:40 pm
hahah very cool. i don't think these need a white outline, i guess ultimately its personal preference. i don't think it would enhance the image further. with the sparkles i'm thinkin you should use some of the pink/green/blue shades in them. right now the black just looks... black :lol: i love it. there were rumours of a tingle game for the DS i think. don't know what happened to that :(
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 12:26:42 am
Solid stuff... yeah, I agree with the black confetti comment. It is rather.. black. Try another color?

Do you happen to have a reference for the originals? No problem if you can't be bothered/etc... Just curious about the colors, since those outfit colors don't appear to be very flattering, IMO.  :P

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 12:43:23 am
The Tingle DS game is out in Japan.
I agree with the confetti comment as well.
Should the grey one's eyes look so fused with the eyebrows?
I really like the hands.
They have clocks around their necks? Wierd, I never noticed that.
You should animate Tingle doing the "Kooloo Limpah!" dance when you're done.

Offline flashdrvnk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 07:08:01 am
I like the stance! A really funny char.
I never seriously played Zelda, but I looked up some pictures as references.
Almost every image of Tingle shows his beauty spot on his right cheek (?)
And it seems that every of your Tingles has the spot on a different location (?) and different cheeks.

Are they different chars?

I think the confetti is a nice idea which makes it more glamour-like :)

Offline government.agent

• The LCD is the retina of the mind's eye
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 07:18:50 am
Haha so cute! Wow. Much cuteness there. In your avatar and in your example. I hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread to ask a quick question?

I noticed you have a little box of colors above their heads. Why? Do you always do that? I've seen that on a number of other pics in the forums as well.

Yours,

GA

Offline flashdrvnk

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 07:48:17 am
I noticed you have a little box of colors above their heads. Why? Do you always do that? I've seen that on a number of other pics in the forums as well.
You usually change colors by using the eyedopper(?)
You don't want to pick colors from a single pixel thus you make larger areas where you can pick from.

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 08:16:53 am
Oh yes, sorry. I forgot to write that I didn't colour the confetti because I wasn't sure if I'd keep it. And it isn't only Tingle in this picture. They are: David Jr. (white/gray), Ankle (pink), Tingle (green), and Knuckle (blue).

References I used:
http://www.zeldax.net/tmc/064.gif (colours)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/Mirre/images/Tinglebrothers.jpg (details)

Tingle game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogitate_Tingle_no_Barairo_Rupee_Land

The grey one (David Jr.) should look troubled, that was what I was aiming for with the eyebrows. He probably is very troubled, because he's not even a Tingle brother lol.

GA: what flashdrvnk said. But it's also good so that you know how many colours you've used etc. I tried to not go over 24 colours with his one.

Xion Night: I think it'd be a bit too much for me to animate him doing that. I might animate David Jr. jumping, the confetti sparkling, and the others striking their poses or something though. If I'm not too lazy.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 12:33:11 pm by Mirre »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 11:43:20 am
24 for 5 different ramps is very good. I enjoy this piece and don't see many things to crit. I'd suggest you get a pixel art program that has a palette going for it so you don't have to put it on the art. Perhaps Pro Motion, perhaps Graphics Gale.

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 12:28:50 pm
Thank you Helm! I've been waiting for the day you would say I was using a sensible colour count, haha! I've been practising colour conservation as you suggested for my Lotiki piece.

This was done with GG actually. That's what I normally use to do pixelart, and PhotoShop to make it transparent later. But I wanted the colours lined up nicely together so that's why I made a small palette there. I am also using a palette in the picture because I have a very small screen (I am working from a laptop that I am using here in England where I am now) and the prewiev window overlaps the palette in GG. Might be nice to look at for people who wants to crit my colour use etc. as well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 01:22:59 pm by Mirre »