AuthorTopic: [closed] Create a character for a Metroid-like game  (Read 2635 times)

Offline onpon4

• View Profile
    • Onpon's Shelf

[closed] Create a character for a Metroid-like game

on: August 20, 2016, 08:17:35 pm
About Me

I'm onpon4, a libre indie game developer. You can find what I've worked on in the past from the link in my signature if you are wondering.

About My Project

Since I finished my most recent project, I'm planning on starting another personal project. After some deliberation, I have decided to develop a game inspired by Super Metroid. I haven't decided what to call it since I'm still in the early planning phase, and there is also no website or anything like that yet for that same reason.

Ideally, at this stage, I would find a libre licensed sprite on e.g. OpenGameArt.org to start from, then commission improvements later. Unfortunately, there isn't an existing sprite, in any form, that I find to be satisfactory. I don't like working with static placeholders like rectangles, so I would like to get the sprite for the player (not all of it, just the basic animations I'll need for the initial techdemo) done.

Job Description

I need the basic sprites for the main character sprited and animated. I actually don't have any particular design for this character in mind, or even a name for the character, so I'm leaving it to whoever accepts this job to decide exactly how it looks (which means this is also a bit of a design job). The character needs to have the following characteristics:

• The character should work well with a bounding box that is about 38x12 pixels while standing, and about 30x12 pixels while crouching. Note: some parts of the sprite should be outside of this bounding box, since I want to make sure that the player only gets hurt by enemies/bullets/etc that look like they're touching the character. For maximum clarity, this should result in a sprite approximately the same size as Samus in Super Metroid.
  • The character must have a full protective suit on (including a helmet). This character will be on an alien planet which is inhospitable to humans and fighting highly dangerous creatures.
  • The character must have some sort of multi-purpose arm cannon.

Of course, the easiest way to do this is to make something similar to Samus, the obvious inspiration for the character's abilities (without infringing any copyright, of course). However, for example, something more akin to Iron Man or Mega Man would work, too, as long as the character has the characteristics outlined above.

The style, however, needs to fit with these tiles (note: I will be using them as quarter-pieces of tile instead of whole tiles, since they are 8x8 rather than the 16x16 tile size I am going for):

http://adamatomic.com/abandonauts/

The player character's sprite should consist of two separate portions: a legs portion and a torso portion. Any torso should be able to fit on any legs, but the legs can require vertical repositioning of the torso either for the entire time the legs are used or during arbitrary frames (e.g. to create a bounce effect when running). If the legs and torso overlap at any point, the torso will appear in front.

For the torso, I need the character aiming in the eight basic directions: 0, 45, 90, 135, 180, 225, and 270 degrees. Note: since it is asymmetrical (only one arm has the arm cannon), left directions cannot simply be mirrored versions of right directions. I will also need a torso animation of the character turning from left to right and right to left.

For the legs, I will need the following animations:
  • Standing
  • Running
  • Crouching
  • Jumping (note: not somersaulting like Samus does, just jumping)

Licensing

You will be keeping the full copyright to your work; I have no interest in it, and you are after all the author. However, for any work to be acceptable, I must be given permission to distribute it under the terms of at least one of the following licenses:

More permissive licenses which are compatible with one of these two (such as CC0 or CC BY) are acceptable as well.

Payment

I am thinking of paying a rate of about $20/hour. This is negotiable, of course, especially if you are highly experienced.

I can pay via PayPal for sure (that's how I've done it in the past), and I should be able to pay via Bitcoin or a wire transfer. I am willing to discuss other methods of payment.

Contact Information

You can contact me by sending an email to the following email address:

onpon4@riseup.net
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:38:32 pm by onpon4 »

Offline Ito

• 2d/VG artist
    • itoaragon
    • itoaragon
    • itosupersonic
    • itoaragon
    • Manuel Aragón
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio:

Re: [closed] Create a character for a Metroid-like game

Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:13:19 am
Hello, I just sent you an e-mail with some examples of my work, a bit of background info on me, and my rates.

Thank you!

Regards,

-Ito

Offline cococamo919

• cococamo191
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp
    • cococamo919
    • cococamo919
    • cameron troup
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio

Re: [closed] Create a character for a Metroid-like game

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:12:51 pm
Greetings, I have sent you an e-mail with my social media and my website with my character designs.
as I am an amateur my rates £15 hour.

Thank you for you time