AuthorTopic: Bird Run Cycle  (Read 2466 times)

Offline DavidBowers

• View Profile

Bird Run Cycle

on: August 20, 2016, 06:19:37 pm

When this runs faster I think the run looks smooth, but the head movement looks too exaggerated. Any thoughts on the animation and the character (color choice, readability, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Offline DavidBowers

• View Profile

Re: Bird Run Cycle

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 06:20:52 pm
Just a note, I have no idea how to make this gif move faster than what it is, it is not supposed to run that slow in game, apologies.  :(

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 07:23:13 pm
Speed of an animation is usually done through what you use to upload/make it.  What did you use to actually animate it?  Typically, Graphics Gale and similar programs are good for that.

Just looking at the base sprite, you could probably clean it up a bit.  Stuff like the gold bits at the face and the steel at the chest don't read particularly well as actual metal.  The chest utilizes something called "Pillow shading," which you should probably look up so you don't continue to use it.   You've also shaded several things, but left the main body completely blank.  If the legs have shades, you should the blue bits done as well, not just the feather imprints.
Overall, the shape of the bird is pretty well done, and the legs themselves actually look really good by themselves.  The knight could use a bit more reference, like people riding horses and armor.  It's a bit hard to read him as having individual parts because of the armor, and the helmet looks a bit all over the place.

As for the actual animation, the legs are easily the best part. Another frame wouldn't hurt, but everything that isn't black or below is incredibly stiff.  Assuming it's running at a decent pace, the body and the knight should constantly bounce and move following the direction of where the legs take it.  I'd recommend looking at walk cycles for things like chickens and even raptors to get a sense of how the body would move, and maybe Final Fantasy's Chocobos if there's any for them.

Final, there's a button to edit your posts, so you don't have to make two separate ones for future reference.

Offline DavidBowers

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 04:47:38 pm
 :o You're right! I attempted to make metal look like metal (with joints etc) without shading at all (due to the small size, cartoony look and animation I felt shading would make things unnecessarily complicated) but your right, it came out as pillow shading 100%! Now that you've pointed it out it seems so obvious.

How to fix it is where it's going to get complicated:
  • is there a way to adjust it without having to do shadows at all?
  • If no, then I guess the light source should be done as directly above since this thing will be flying and running all over the place, what would be the best way to show shadows without making this thing look like a messy blob of color? Dithering?

Thanks for the feedback it's much appreciated.

Edit: Fixed the speed of the .gif

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:22:58 pm by DavidBowers »

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 05:13:46 pm
Funnily enough this was just posted in Slack not long a go.

Study this as a reference bro

http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/37346.htm

Offline DavidBowers

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 05:24:27 pm
Funnily enough this was just posted in Slack not long a go.

Study this as a reference bro

http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/37346.htm

Woah, I think that's beyond my level! Great reference thanks for the link.