AuthorTopic: [C+C] Planets, space and co.  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

[C+C] Planets, space and co.

on: August 19, 2016, 09:26:40 pm
Hi there!

I'm doing some researches and tests for a potential project of space adventure game, and I thought sharing it might bring useful feedbacks. I'm trying some changes in my usual style by the use of outlines. I'm generally not a huge fan, but I must admit that it's a real nice tool for readability. And that's a priority for a fast paced game. Enough words, pictures time!

My first test for a mars-like planet. It's a mockup.

My second test, this time with an earth like planet. I tried with and without outlines. My feeling is that outlines spoils it a bit, it looks more natural without them. But for the sake of consistency with the characters, it might be a good thing. Speaking of which:

The base character design. Boba Fett is a bonus. Also on top, icons for health, armour and shields. I made it with a separated gun from the model, it makes it easy to point it in the appropriate direction.

The run cycle.

Let's end this round with a few .gif of the current prototype in action:

Weaponless character got arms.

Look how cute he is with his little shotgun.

Big gun to test my code. It's so ridiculous I might actually add some guns that oversized in the actual game.

Next step will be making some textures to try to get a direction for interiors. Until then, I'd like to get any criticism, just tell me what you think, every advice and criticism is welcome.

Thanks!

-skaz

Offline Not4mortaleyes

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Planets, space and co.

Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 09:53:39 pm
Looks amazing! i especially like the earth like planet and as for criticism i think you should tweak the colors on the player a bit they seem a bit desaturated

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 04:59:07 pm
Thanks! For now the colours are not really final, and what do you think of the outlines? I'm really not sure about it... I don't really like it.

Offline [Friends] Ro$$

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 05:18:40 pm
These look great! The outline (atmosphere)? on the 'earth' is bugging me though. It makes the planet look flat. I would either make it a lot more transparent or remove it entirely.

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 07:47:16 pm
Thanks Ro$$, yep it's the athmosphere, it doesn't look really great.

I made some test without outlines, because I really don't like it. Here is the result next to the outlined version:

FYI, sprites are meant to be displayed at 300% the size inside the game itself.

I'm really hesitant. I fear outlines will force me to make choices I'm not convinced will be the best. But without outlines, it's going to be more difficult to make sure everything is nice and readable on the textured backgrounds. Specially with colour choices, and it's not my forte.

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 03:59:34 pm
Been making some experiments with armours, helmets and transparent glass.

I'm still having readability issues with the guns overlapping the armours. Any suggestion or rule of thumb to avoid this kind of problems? Edit highly welcome!

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 08:22:03 pm
I'm tackling the problem of my palettes. Right now I have none, and colours is not that much my thing, but I want to improve on that side.

I tried some dramatic hue shift to give a more interesting shading to the characters. What do you think?

Any advice and edit welcome!

Offline DoomsdayBuccaneer

• Student Game Designer
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 04:10:28 am
Let me just start off by saying I like the simplistic style you've got there. For suggestions I'd say maybe reduce the saturation a bit and drop the outlines on the backgrounds and planets, and keep them on character sprites and such for added contrast and readability. It would also help players intuitively know what can be interacted with or not.