AuthorTopic: Atempt at pixel arting myself  (Read 3034 times)

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Atempt at pixel arting myself

on: August 19, 2016, 11:51:06 am
So I tried to make myself a profile picture aaand this is where I stand now.. I would lowe if some one could give me some guidelines

Offline Shnurbs

• just some dude
    • Shnurbs
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

Re: Atempt at pixel arting myself

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 12:54:58 am
Looks pretty good! The shading could use a bit of work tho. Right now the face doesn't really look like it has much of a light source. The nose implies that the light is coming from the right side, as does most of his features, but his forehead, cheeks, and chin aren't really shaded to accommodate that. Here's a slightly terrible edit to show what I mean.

You can also work on consolidating your color palette. I'm not as much of a stickler for this as some other people are, but there are some shades in this image that can definitely be removed without getting rid of much detail. Here's another worse edit to show what I mean.

These are just my two cents. I won't promise to be great at pixel art, so maybe take it with a grain of salt. Overall pretty good!
ayyyy lmao

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 02:01:32 am
You need some texture on that hair, son! (I also removed a color to make it match the eyebrows better!)

(also also, accidentally based off shnurb's edit since I saved the wrong file. Whoopsie!)
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 03:43:53 am
I think you can push the colors and contrast a little more. I did a quick edit based on mysterymeat's edit. I also tried to get rid of most of the single pixel noise

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 10:49:45 am
Heey guy! thanks for all of your feedback, I am loving it!
When I submited it, I I have not done anything to my hair yet, but the tuff that you did is just outstanding!

I love @r1k 's take with less noise and the hair, dyam do they look good :!

As to shading I really really like how @Shnurbs did it, gonna try doing similar style of shading, I am always afraid of making too dark shadows which leads to blunt and bad results. ( I like the first image a titsi bit more - the one with darker shadows on the left)

@MysteryMeat -  I like that hair color but I think my hair are way darker, prolly gona use your color any way!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:23:26 pm by SlimEddie »

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 03:22:55 pm
So hi again guys! I took note of all of your sugetstions and edits and here is what I ended up with (really really wanna know your opinion) !

nit picking is required here!

EDIT:

Tried adding a shirt, really don't like it and I am not sure how to make cloth work, any ideas?

EDIT mr2:

Lightened up a shirt and a few things on it
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:12:45 pm by SlimEddie »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 12:25:50 pm
He's missing a shoulder! as for the shirt, you're going overboard with the folding! Take a look at how the folds in this silk shirt here look:

I used a silk shirt here as an example, since the glossiness makes it easier to pick out the folds. The thing with shirts is that, unless the arms are raised or positioned in some way other than down, the upper chest will mostly be smooth.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline SlimEddie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 12:51:12 pm
@MysteryMeat Hey, I will try remaking the shirt later today! thanks for advice. I used so many fold because on the original foto of me it was quite foldy because of my arm being up(Was taking a selfie lol), I will try your approach!