AuthorTopic: [WIP] Table module  (Read 2592 times)

Offline capt_eatbones

• View Profile

[WIP] Table module

on: August 16, 2016, 06:03:10 pm
Hello everyone  :)

Here I post my first attempt. My idea is to create a small Inn interior with several elements. I want to keep it fantasy style.
For this attempt I tried to don't follow a tutorial or copy any reference. I just followed my memory and my usual approach when working. I post the steps I followed. Obviously I'm here to receive critiques and with a couple of questions:
  • Do you find the table with too much noise?
  • Do understand well what kind of table is?
  • Which version do you prefer? With or without shadows?
  • Do you think it is too monotone?

I used PyxelEdit and Krita (for the 3 steps image).

Thanks in advance  ;)

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Table module

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 06:47:44 pm
I have to say, the 1st step is the most pleasing to my eye. The other two appear far too noisy. I think you lose that separation between boards when rendering the wood grain.  The shadow from the 3rd is nice, though.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 08:28:11 pm
Hello everyone  :)

Here I post my first attempt. My idea is to create a small Inn interior with several elements. I want to keep it fantasy style.
For this attempt I tried to don't follow a tutorial or copy any reference. I just followed my memory and my usual approach when working. I post the steps I followed. Obviously I'm here to receive critiques and with a couple of questions:
  • Do you find the table with too much noise?
  • Do understand well what kind of table is?
  • Which version do you prefer? With or without shadows?
  • Do you think it is too monotone?

I used PyxelEdit and Krita (for the 3 steps image).

Thanks in advance  ;)

Personally I'm of the opposite opinion, it looks plenty readable to me and Should contrast well on most backgrounds. Variant 3 with the shadows looks solid.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline capt_eatbones

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 01:18:53 pm
Hi there,

thank you very much for your opinion  ;)

Personally the first one is too simple, too flat. But I agree that I should mark more the separation between the wood planks.

I think I'm going to improve what I've suggested but I'll also add the floor, to have a better view of this object placed onto of something else that it's not a simple flat color  :)

Cheers.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 02:37:26 pm
I like the first one best as well, but I think the textures could work well with some less-contrasted colours on them, and clearer separation between boards. I also think you can create the texture with just 2, maybe 3 colours, you don't need 4 (or 5?) like you have now.
I think I also find the first table more appealing because of the overall lighter colour of the flat part.

With cast shadows the table feels more solid and present, but the shadows in #3 look bad to me because they don't make sense. They look like oversized ambient occlusion shadows. Ambient occlusion should be much subtler than that, the dark outline around the legs is all you need for AO in that case, since the table is presumably standing on a flat surface rather than sinking in. The shadow from the flat part being so small also looks weird. It suggests a characterless diffuse light, but in that case, you'd probably be better off without a shadow, really push the diffuse look. If you are looking for a more defined light source:
- If it's a single light source, the shadow of the table should probably be about the same size as the table, or larger if the light source is close (e.g. a ceiling lamp). The shadow would also probably look better not being perfectly centered under the table.
- If there are multiple light sources, which would allow for the smaller, lighter shadow, then it shouldn't be a single rectangle, but rather a bunch of overlapping rectangle shapes.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:39:11 pm by eishiya »

Offline capt_eatbones

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 05:13:14 pm
Hello,

you're right regarding the Ambient Occlusion effect but I'm not looking for realism. This is clearly something stylized so I thought of suggesting a light shadow to help the contact with the ground. Moreover, I'd prefer having a generic shadow effect, not related to a specific light source, as I said, to improve the overall volume perception and to be able to reuse this object freely.
Regarding the number of colors used: aehm...I probably used more than just 4-5, I probably doubled the number. I know that pixel art is usually based on a fixed palette but in this case I went for a more "standard" approach. What I've noticed is that working very close to the pixels makes hard keeping the palette small, at least for me coming from a more typical "million colors" world.
I'll take into consideration your comments. I'll reduce the palette and try your suggestions about the shadows.

Thank you very much  :y:

Cheers.

jun

Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 05:49:16 pm
I probably used more than just 4-5, I probably doubled the number. I know that pixel art is usually based on a fixed palette but in this case I went for a more "standard" approach. What I've noticed is that working very close to the pixels makes hard keeping the palette small, at least for me coming from a more typical "million colors" world.

Well.
I don't think there's an issue with using more colors if it helps convey what you want to make, looks comprehendable and readable.
Don't stub yourself with "rules" of any kind. There aren't any. I think people advocate using less colors because it makes for a cleaner, more readable sprite. We don't have to worry about color limitations anymore, go buck wild. Using similar colors might be redundant, though. But have fun with it, experiment. Don't get tripped with technicalities and rules. No one cares if you use 4, 5 or 6 colors, really. Just do what looks good to you, people will provide their thoughts and comment.
 :ouch:

Offline capt_eatbones

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 09:38:42 am
Hello,

sorry for the delay in updates but I'm a little busy in this period.

Here is a little step further. I changed a little the shadows tones of the table to get it less monotone. Moreover, I added a floor to have something to compare to the table. I like the floor tones and, even being pretty basic, but what I see is that the table perhaps need some "outline border" that helps separate the table from the background.

What do you think?