AuthorTopic: [C&C] metal shading  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Not4mortaleyes

• View Profile

[C&C] metal shading

on: August 13, 2016, 01:37:15 am
heres a attempt at shading metal i did i am only using greyscale but i will color it afterwards

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Re: [C&C] metal shading

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 05:40:41 am
I messed with your ball a bit, first attempt at a sphere :P. I would try to offer a critique but not even sure what is the proper technique to be honest.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 06:09:14 am by fingas10 »

Offline Tori

• Hi! I'm Tori!
    • Eduuuh13
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/107950.htm
    • eduAoliveira7
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 06:28:46 pm
I'm not mastered on materials buut I've been studying what I can say about metal is:
Metals have high contrast.

I think you exaggerated on the contrast going from 0 to 25% of lighting, and straight from 25% to 100%, when the reflex is only 10% of the image. It can exist, but only on scenes when the metal is been illuminated by a very small source of light.

I made an example of normal metal on grayscale:

Hight contrast, nothing exagerated.

Put some collor to it, because I read somewhere that metals are never completely gray (I think it's because of scene light or scene color composition):

I'm considering just white light here, and trying to make some copper, for example.

Hue shifting:

And for making it more like a real copper, I raised its saturation. I think metals in general have high saturation / Also, a less red copper just for comparison.too:

I made a test because there was something bothering me about the lighting:

But now it seems like plastic  :huh:

(P.S. What is [C&C]?  ???)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 06:51:45 pm by Tori »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 09:17:23 pm
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=18793.0

About the third time I've posted it, but I made a topic about metal shading a while back and got tons of advice, references, edits, visuals, everything that could be pretty useful for this, and on more than just a sphere.

A main point would be incredibly high contrast so that the colors aren't close at all.

[C+C] is something along the lines of, "Comments and Critique," or, "Help me out with making this look better by telling me what's wrong about it."

Offline Not4mortaleyes

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 06:37:37 pm
Thank you for the references and advice I will have something to show tomarrow or the day after, i am busy today sorry for making you wait

Offline Not4mortaleyes

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 01:44:12 am
i tried a different approach to the shading

with this lighting technique it looks good and bad. i might be on to something but i am still going to try some more with dithering to see which one looks better

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 07:20:57 am
i tried a different approach to the shading

with this lighting technique it looks good and bad. i might be on to something but i am still going to try some more with dithering to see which one looks better
Actually, I think it might just be colors here.
I messed about with some saturations here, take a look!

PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Not4mortaleyes

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 09:38:09 pm

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 09:47:05 pm
There's now two light sources by the looks of it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, assuming that was intentional.  Looks pretty great, but the only things I'd say is maybe make it a bit rounder looking around the right side use of the darker shades and the 2nd darkest brown could either be lighter or mixed with the darkest.  It's a bit too similar and looks the same from a distance.

Offline Not4mortaleyes

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 09:50:21 pm
There's now two light sources by the looks of it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, assuming that was intentional.  Looks pretty great, but the only things I'd say is maybe make it a bit rounder looking around the right side use of the darker shades and the 2nd darkest brown could either be lighter or mixed with the darkest.  It's a bit too similar and looks the same from a distance.
thank you for the reply i'll tweak the shape and colors much more. the second smaller reflection on the bottom is suppose be the reflection of the floor