AuthorTopic: [WIP] Run/Jump Animations  (Read 2080 times)

Offline LobaMattos

• View Profile

[WIP] Run/Jump Animations

on: August 12, 2016, 08:20:12 pm
Hey there~
I'm doing a character for this game course, and it's my first experience with animation and spriting in general, so i'm still learning the ropes and stuff. Aesthetic and palette are not final, but it's with what i've been working~

While all critique is welcome, there are some particular issues with the animations that i've noticed, but i'm not sure how to fix:

Mostly the back arm is looking strange, tho i'm definitively happy with the direction this one is heading. It's my first sprite/animation, btw x3

This one i'm far less confident on. Some of the later part of the jump seems off, but i can't quite put my finger on what is bugging me.

For further reference, this is the character's idle animation.

Offline nessx007

• medleystudio
    • medleystudio
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Run/Jump Animations

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 07:52:18 am
The run looks pretty good to me! But yeah the jump might need more attention, my first gut feeling is the motion feels broken in two? The drag behind of the back leg lasts a bit too long and is probably why it feels a bit jerky. I guess try keeping the legs more in sync with just a slight offset? Might help smooth out the motion.
Hope this little blurb finds you well! We've got a fun little series documenting our progress on our SNES puzzle throwback game here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NomLd6Wcbro
Or check out our game art on tumblr:
http://medleystudio.tumblr.com

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [WIP] Run/Jump Animations

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 08:39:20 am
Hey there~
I'm doing a character for this game course, and it's my first experience with animation and spriting in general, so i'm still learning the ropes and stuff. Aesthetic and palette are not final, but it's with what i've been working~

While all critique is welcome, there are some particular issues with the animations that i've noticed, but i'm not sure how to fix:

Mostly the back arm is looking strange, tho i'm definitively happy with the direction this one is heading. It's my first sprite/animation, btw x3

This one i'm far less confident on. Some of the later part of the jump seems off, but i can't quite put my finger on what is bugging me.

For further reference, this is the character's idle animation.
Both are noticeably a bit juddery. the run mostly works fine with that since it's a fairly sudden movement, but try to think of it as wind slowly brushing past more than as if you're caught in a helicopter's gusts for a smoother look.

As for the jump, the head kind of shoots all over the place giving it kind of a spastic look, and it's not as stable overall as it could be. Try to fix limb positioning, don't feel like you have to make wildly noticeable movements every frame, sometimes you only really need to do two or three pixels between them.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |