AuthorTopic: sans.  (Read 5512 times)

Offline Dreadnaught

• View Profile

Re: sans.

Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 08:44:00 pm
Yes, that is precisely what I was talking about. That looks cleaner already.

Offline IIRawsomeII

• Random person
    • IIRawsomeII
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/94098.htm
    • IIIRawsomeIII
    • iirawsomeii
    • View Profile
    • My Site

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 03:42:21 am
Is the drawing good enough yet?

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 04:23:08 am
Is the drawing good enough yet?
That's the awful truth about art: it's never perfect

Yeah though, the contrast between coat fluff and face is still a bit close,  try using a very pale blue to divide them better.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 03:24:03 am
Hey friend! I did a quick draw over your original sprite.

I think the main thing you wanna focus on is the drawing itself of the sprite. Ignoring pixelart techniques altogether, your original drawing (as in the way you rendered the character using linework alone) is lacking a few things.

with a good drawing you mainly want to convey 3 things: the 3d form of the character, the gesture of the character's pose, and lastly the character's personality. Getting more form in your drawings comes from just doing life studies and getting the mileage in there. For gesture, you wanna start with a line of action (the orange line in my edit) which will usually just be a simple curve, then build the drawing around that line, as though the character's mass is resting on that line. As for the personality, i think you completely nailed that in your original version. The way his balance defies physics definitely suits the nature of the character, and you conveyed his relaxed, lazy persona really well!

once you've got the drawing solid, then you can start adding shading and technique to make it all polished and nice

hope that was helpful!

Offline IIRawsomeII

• Random person
    • IIRawsomeII
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/94098.htm
    • IIIRawsomeIII
    • iirawsomeii
    • View Profile
    • My Site

Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 05:22:40 pm
Hey, friend! I did a quick draw over your original sprite.

I think the main thing you wanna focus on is the drawing itself of the sprite. Ignoring pixel art techniques altogether, your original drawing (as in the way you rendered the character using linework alone) is lacking a few things.

with a good drawing, you mainly want to convey 3 things: the 3d form of the character, the gesture of the character's pose, and lastly the character's personality. Getting more form in your drawings comes from just doing life studies and getting the mileage in there. For gesture, you wanna start with a line of action (the orange line in my edit) which will usually just be a simple curve, then build the drawing around that line, as though the character's mass is resting on that line. As for the personality, I think you completely nailed that in your original version. The way his balance defies physics definitely suits the nature of the character, and you conveyed his relaxed, lazy persona really well!

once you've got the drawing solid, then you can start adding shading and technique to make it all polished and nice

hope that was helpful!

Of course, it was :)

As for the personality, I think you completely nailed that in your original version. The way his balance defies physics definitely suits the nature of the character, and you conveyed his relaxed, lazy persona really well!

Well, that was completely unintentional.  :blind:

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 07:02:42 pm
I wouldn't say that, it seems like you liked the character and the game he's from a lot, and you conveyed that feeling well with your art. I would honestly consider getting feeling into art one of the hardest things to do, and its something a lot of artists lose track of in the race to develop technique. Techniques are important, but they have to be built around a solid emotional core, which your original drawing definitely has!