AuthorTopic: 4 Frames or Should there be more?  (Read 3623 times)

Offline NobleDuelist

• Y'all Done or Y'all Finished?
    • noblexlexie24
    • Imlerith
    • birthoflegend
    • View Profile

4 Frames or Should there be more?

on: August 02, 2016, 04:08:58 am
Hey everyone currently I am creating a walk cycle for a base. Generally I wanted to stay around 4 frames but something doesn't sit right with me when it comes to the east direction. I'll list the animations below, please give honest c&c and I will try to get back to you guys.

Offline nessx007

• medleystudio
    • medleystudio
    • View Profile

Re: 4 Frames or Should there be more?

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:26:11 am
The front and back are working pretty well, especially with the shading on the limbs as they move forward and back. But yeah that East one needs some more attention, at first glance I thought it was supposed to be him walking at a diagonal (down-right).

You're showing a bit too much depth (the front of his body) for it to be a side view. His shoulder should be more or less lined up directly under his head (maybe slightly back if you want a more realistic hunch), and legs should be more or less perfectly lined up as well (the frame when his legs meet straight, you should only see one leg). I'd start there first, hope that helps!

Hope this little blurb finds you well! We've got a fun little series documenting our progress on our SNES puzzle throwback game here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NomLd6Wcbro
Or check out our game art on tumblr:
http://medleystudio.tumblr.com

Offline Tori

• Hi! I'm Tori!
    • Eduuuh13
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/107950.htm
    • eduAoliveira7
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 02:14:28 pm
I think you should show his arm that's in the back, even because you are drawing this character sprite not seeing fully by side, like it turns 90º when it walks to the right, it's something like 80º when it turns from down walk to right walk. Even on a 90º rotation it should show the arm that's in the back.

Offline NobleDuelist

• noblexlexie24
    • Imlerith
    • birthoflegend
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 05:06:10 pm
I'd like to thank both of you for your critique, I made the side have a one leg view and also made it so you see the arm in the back while walking.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 04:12:22 am
one thing that improves a 4 frame cycle is not reusing frame 2 as frame 4. For the up and down directions, instead of using a standing pose for these frames, draw an actual inbetween frame for frame 2, it can be mirrored for frame 4. Take a look at this basic walk cycle example from the animators survival kit:

http://danielanimations.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/7/4/13748783/2610219_orig.jpg

For a 4 frame cycle we're mostly interested in the ones labeled contact and passing position. Youve already drawn the contact positions for frames 1 and 3, but it would look more proper to draw the passing position, with one foot lifted and moving forward for frames 2 and 4. Since the example is in side view, it should be pretty easy to follow for the left and right animations. Basically, you need your guy to pick his feet up.

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 01:09:59 pm
Some thoughts on your 4 frame cycle:

Offline NobleDuelist

• noblexlexie24
    • Imlerith
    • birthoflegend
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 05:19:55 pm
Hey guys sorry for replying so late just been busy with work, But I just wasn't satisfied with my 4 frame results it wasn't really looking smooth. So I decided to go with 8 frames, everything looks good to me and a couple others approved. Let me know your thoughts

p.s don't worry I'll fill in the legs soon

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 05:51:42 pm
Purple foot sticks in place on frames 7 and 8.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1