AuthorTopic: [C+C] Discovery  (Read 2163 times)

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/155410.htm
    • View Profile

[C+C] Discovery

on: August 06, 2016, 02:56:51 pm

Humans have sent a great colony ship to a new planet. There are also combat and science ships.

Please, let me know what do you think about this, and how should I improve it.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C+C] Discovery

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 03:11:48 pm
Pretty solid! The scale givese a real no man's sky vibe!
I'd say rock texture is off but here it gives it a sort of "painted" look
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline [Friends] Ro$$

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 01:17:29 pm
First of all I think the shapes of the many of the objects an the direction of sunlight is pretty spot on!
I think this suffers from what most begging pixel art suffers from which is choosing a very large canvas and then not having enough time to be as precise and deterministic about where each pixel is placed on the image. This leads to the random looking shadows and some lines that look wobbly. I highlighted some major ones in the image.

The detail to the shadows looks random like they were scribbled with the line tool rather than deliberate.

Another issue is that dark 1px lines are used to separate each object in the image which doesn't look very realistic. This would look better if instead this separation between objects was portrayed using the different angles of light (shadows and light spots) that each object receives being at a different angle than the others.

Another minor critique is that I would assume some light would come from the lasers, and this should be reflected in the ground around them.

The same image could be achieved on a canvas 1/4th of the size and this would allow you to have a lot more control over where each pixel is placed and would most likely lead to a very clean and collected looking piece.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 06:49:46 pm
I will comment more on your approach than actual drawing technique here. With each new drawing you provide textual explanation to help people understand what they are looking at. Main problem here is if you need to explain it there's already some problem with the design.

First and most important question related to your text is how should viewer know that those are human ships? It can be literally any kind of aliens in those machines which means that it doesn't support original idea. For example our scanner ship looks like alien ship from war of the worlds, and if you combine it with those awkward plants it's even more similar. If it's important part of design then make it so it looks like humans made it, use some modern vehicles for inspiration or something which is inspired by things from earth.

Second how should viewer know that it's a strange planet and not some deserted part of the earth where aliens plant something (war of the worlds). One yellow sun contributes to that kind of impression.

You could have made big planet or several strange suns to suggest that it's something unusual. Try to define some rock formation which is not usually seen on the earth, or use crazy colors (like no man's sky). Maybe make some interesting shaped trees or plants, current ones are more like forest after the fire.

To summarize, if you already want to express your ideas trough drawings always try to send clear message regardless of strange it sounds. If you need to explain it then goal is not achieved, which means you can try again but with different approach (same situation was with dragon and hiding warrior). I'm saying this with best intention cause it's obvious that you invest your time into this and thinking about design can help a lot. :)

Offline zoekmath

• Zielach_
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/155410.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 09:03:25 am
Thank you! I'll keep that in mind the next time.
I kind of focused more in the approach than the technique, so some textures may be bad.
You're right, I have to explain things better. XD