AuthorTopic: Silhouette of a tree [C+C]  (Read 1620 times)

Offline infinitylsx

• View Profile

Silhouette of a tree [C+C]

on: August 05, 2016, 12:02:34 am
As I stated in a previous thread I feel as if I cannot even make a pleasant tree; so instead of whining about it I have decided to put forth some effort and start to make one. I have a basic silhouette of a tree I made. I just used a large brush for the leaves, and this produces an effect that I am not sure if it is even acceptable. I do not think it is disgusting, but I also know that it could be much better, and that is what I am looking to get some advice on.

Again I would like to mention this is just a silhouette and I and not putting any shading or color changes on it until I have a shape and such that I like and want to progress with.

Image:

Regards,
Infinity~
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:23:38 am by infinitylsx »

Offline Sinceriously

• Drawing again after a two-year long art block
    • View Profile

Re: Silhouette of a tree [C+C]

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 01:25:08 am
If you're going for a bit more of a cartoon-ish style, then I think you're doing quite well. Try adding some more leaf volume, as the tree looks like it's a bit low on leaves.

However, if you're going for a more realistic or semi-realistic look, then I have some more to point out. The trunk feels a bit unnatural, because it's perfectly straight and vertical, and at the base it curves out with a perfect slope. Trees rarely do that in real life. Look up a few references and see how the trunks of trees bend and curve and thicken near the bottom, as well as how their roots meet the ground.

The trunk also looks quite thick, especially for the volume of leaves you've drawn. Try making it a bit thinner and, as I mentioned, adding more leaf volume. Lastly, making the outlines of the leaves more jagged and random will help make them look more... leafy?

That's all I've got to say. I think you've got a great start!

Offline infinitylsx

• View Profile

Re: Silhouette of a tree [C+C]

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 01:57:31 am
If you're going for a bit more of a cartoon-ish style, then I think you're doing quite well. Try adding some more leaf volume, as the tree looks like it's a bit low on leaves.

However, if you're going for a more realistic or semi-realistic look, then I have some more to point out. The trunk feels a bit unnatural, because it's perfectly straight and vertical, and at the base, it curves out with a perfect slope. Trees rarely do that in real life. Look up a few references and see how the trunks of trees bend and curve and thicken near the bottom, as well as how their roots meet the ground.

The trunk also looks quite thick, especially for the volume of leaves you've drawn. Try making it a bit thinner and, as I mentioned, adding more leaf volume. Lastly, making the outlines of the leaves more jagged and random will help make them look more... leafy?

That's all I've got to say. I think you've got a great start!

Great advice! I suppose saying that its a silhouette doesn't entail that I still need to detail the leaves. I did plan on doing that! :)

I suppose semi-realism would be the best description of a look I'm trying to obtain. All the advice you gave me I agree on, though, just needed someone to point it out I suppose! I was curious, though, considering its 64x64, how could I make the trunk a bit better? I tried adding some bumps and stuff, but the trunk itself isn't large enough that it makes a large impact rather than a subtle effect like I was going for.

As for the leaves, I think adding more would be the way to go; that is the other big issue I felt I had. But do you believe it'd be better to expand out more or just over up more area that is already there? The big reason I don't have more leaves is that I wished to show the branches of the tree off. Do you believe it'd look better if I just ignored that or should I try and keep that by possibly having it show through at some locations?

Lastly, I'm not directing this towards you - just in general; but what would be the best way to shade the trunk? While I was waiting for some advice on the overall appearance of the silhouette I tried doing some shading to the trunk and it's much harder than I first believed. For example, in this image:
How could I obtain a similar effect of the bark that this artist did? I tried, but I just got a miss match of lines and ugly clutter.

Regards,
Infinity~
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:59:16 am by infinitylsx »