AuthorTopic: Need some help with shading :/  (Read 2114 times)

Offline shagzetta

• View Profile

Need some help with shading :/

on: August 03, 2016, 02:17:14 pm
Greetings!

I am so motivated to draw pixel art, but shading is a pain for me. Today I started to draw ghost... well, i think it just looks like a bunch of pixels. What do u think about silhouette? And can you help me with shading with your advices/guides? Thanks a lot!

p.s. i forgot the image itself, here:

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Need some help with shading :/

Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:34:09 pm
It's pretty unclear. Just looks like a wisp of smoke. Some ethereal glowing and some eyes or a mouth might help it some.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Tori

• Hi! I'm Tori!
    • Eduuuh13
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/107950.htm
    • eduAoliveira7
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:41:21 pm
I see no ghost here.. Try to draw its line art first, after you get a good drawing of a ghost, you start to think about shadowing.

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 09:54:10 pm
I made an edit :) .

First off, it is difficult to shade a ghost, the biggest reason being that they are semi-transparent. It's basically like shading mist. Another reason why shading is difficult is because it is so small, and with small images , the general shape and form is more important than the details. What I did is not to worry about the shading, and just get the form of the ghost down, along with some clothes. Ghosts resemble a person, so I drew a human-like figure first. Then I made it look kind of whithered, after that, I cut down the legs to make them seem like they are fading away. Then I added some clothes on in a different color. I also made it a little bit bigger, just so that I could put in some more detail. So yeah, I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:55:43 pm by DracoDragon42 »

Offline shagzetta

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 06:45:19 pm
I made an edit :) .

First off, it is difficult to shade a ghost, the biggest reason being that they are semi-transparent. It's basically like shading mist. Another reason why shading is difficult is because it is so small, and with small images , the general shape and form is more important than the details. What I did is not to worry about the shading, and just get the form of the ghost down, along with some clothes. Ghosts resemble a person, so I drew a human-like figure first. Then I made it look kind of whithered, after that, I cut down the legs to make them seem like they are fading away. Then I added some clothes on in a different color. I also made it a little bit bigger, just so that I could put in some more detail. So yeah, I hope this helps.

Thanks! Looks better than my "version" hehe